Maine Fly Fish
plecain

Rainbow takeover

It had been two years since I last visited this small stream. The last time I was here the fish were about equally divided between rainbows and brook trout.

csDSCN1884.thumb.jpg.88c5adb1c4d506819c3eeebeee6a4e37.jpg

csDSCN1890.thumb.jpg.cbab03974fd4b28599df9ed74d3a067b.jpg

This time it was mostly rainbows. I caught a few brookies, all small. There were lots of rainbows. They were very aggressive and energetic. I lost many more than I landed.

Here are some small ones.

csDSCN1888.thumb.jpg.2bfe2eddfe80f885a563f5418d0d96bf.jpg

csDSCN1889.thumb.jpg.5c9a01ef44c81e164ee52b06587b4c7a.jpg

Then I caught the biggest one I've ever caught here - somewhere between 11 and 12 inches. Nice fish for this stream.

csDSCN1895.thumb.jpg.5a5cd00d78ce3eb220e1200c49f66a90.jpg

I was fishing with a black woolly bugger and this fish hit it and just nicked itself on the hook.

I figured it wouldn't hit that fly again so I changed to the Copper John that you can see in the picture. One drift through the pool and it grabbed it.

The water temperature was 51°, so the water in the hills is just getting where we want it.

I was there on sunday with my father that was visiting from up maine.  He sure had a hoot with all those wild jumping bows! 

That explains one thing - I saw some bootprints in the sand in a couple of places. I never see footprints there.

Did you find that there weren't as many brookies as before?

That's a nice little stream and beautiful pictures!

56 minutes ago, plecain said:

That explains one thing - I saw some bootprints in the sand in a couple of places. I never see footprints there.

Did you find that there weren't as many brookies as before?

The past few extreme low water years have done a number on the brookie population there.  I think it just gets too warm in all but the deepest holes and the more aggressive rainbows out compete them pretty bad.   Most the wild brookies I've gotten outa there have been pretty small aside from the odd stockie.  Speaking of stockies, we did our duty and removed the seven stocked fish we caught there for dinner.   Here we have one the best wild bow streams in NH and F&G still dumps stockies in there every year.....

oh man this report makes me itching for the mountain streams.  Great pictures Plecain, I bet a 11"-12" wild bow would put quite a bend in a 2 or 3 wt.  Only have caught the little ones myself.

4 hours ago, Sflagg91 said:

That looks strikingly like the stream were I caught my first wild bows! ^_^ ;)

I doubt it B) 

Even Mikey doesn't know about this place.  

4 hours ago, Swamptrout said:

I doubt it B) 

Even Mikey doesn't know about this place.  

:lol: :lol: :lol: I stand corrected! That second picture looked mighty familiar!

6 hours ago, TightLinesMaine said:

oh man this report makes me itching for the mountain streams.  Great pictures Plecain, I bet a 11"-12" wild bow would put quite a bend in a 2 or 3 wt.  Only have caught the little ones myself.

It was fun. 

I was using an 8’ 2 wt., which was maybe a little long for this small stream.

Great pics and a nice report! perfect time to be on the little streams.