Maine Fly Fish
Mainiac

While we wait.................

........ for the return of the striped ones, lets talk gear.

I get asked quite often,"how much gear should I bring?".

This is a personal choice. Some lug everything including the kitchen sink, while others are of the less is more crowd. I'm a more of a kitchen sink guy. Here's a list of what I carry every time out.

waders

wading boots

wading jacket (if raining or fishing surf)

hat

sunglasses

headlamp

tackle bag (which includes,two spare spools with different lines,two spools leader material,hemostats, three boxes of flies, thingamabobbers, two water bottles, hook sharpener, steel leader,line clippers and a camera)

ONE fly rod 

stripping basket

glass cleaning rag

knife

small first aid kit

phone

fishing license 

Thats about it,I think .  :rolleyes:

What do you bring ?

I am definitely a kitchen sink guy, but find that I only end up using about 5% of what I bring. Some things, like a first aid kit, are a great idea. something you hope you never have to use, but glad you have it if it is ever needed.

Out of curiosity, how do you employ the thingamabobbers when fishing for stripers?

I am not a kitchen sink guy - often it is a bag of flies, pliers, 20lb spool (maybe an extra spool if uncertain but usually just one line), waders/boots/basket. My new waders have a bigger pocket so sling bag may become a thing of the past.

I’ve been seen with a second 9’ fly rod sticking up out of my bag over my left shoulder...:lol:

so I guess that’d make me a kitchen pantry guy 

-early season I don’t bring much, but once they are here in full and I may run into any sort of situation I’m pretty stacked. To be ready, hopefully, for anything be it a vicious top water bite or slow stripping big flies on intermediate should I scoot over to some ledges.

• Haha 1

I also carry a compass in case the fog is thick and I am way out on a sandbar when the tide is coming in. 

Thingamabobbers are for "nymphing" flies like shrimp or small crabs in areas with good current.

I also nymph with a thingamabobber once in while. 

I am probably a kitchen sink guy too lol with my truck as the pantry I have 3 to 4 rods almost all the time in the truck 7 wt Spey 8 wt switch 8 wt single and and a 5 or 6wt for if I feel like hitting some shad 4 fly boxes stripping basket water extra spools could go on for days lol

I used to be more of a kitchen sink guy but as others have said I would only use a fraction of the stuff. A few years ago I decided I needed to simplify so I downsized to a smaller sling pack so that help reduce what I can take on the water.  I am fairly new to saltwater so still figuring out what I should add but typically this is what I have with me:

waders
wading boots
hat
sunglasses
headlamp
Sling pack 
rod & reel
spare spool
leader material
hemostats/pliers 
boxes of flies
hook sharpener
nippers 
stripping basket
knife
phone 
fishing license

Looking for other bag options for to accommodate a larger saltwater fly box.

2 hours ago, brosa1450 said:

I’ve been seen with a second 9’ fly rod sticking up out of my bag over my left shoulder...:lol:

so I guess that’d make me a kitchen pantry guy 

The kitchen pantry comment had me laughing!

Looked pretty healthy for 90 even

That link to the 1hr video on there is a gem. Boy if that doesn't get the juices flowing nothing will. Good stuff, thank you for sharing.

A buddy and I go down to Newburyport once a summer in June for a treat on the water with a friend who owns his own boat, it is a summer highlight for us! 

Sixguns

The heavy rain  does effect things but a Saturday I plan to hook up