Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
RRobert

Getting Old Sucks...

So this past weekend after doing what I call " The trout dance" and almost getting a soaking,   I finally had to admit to myself that my legs aren't what they used to be and places I used to wade fearlessly now require a bit of thought and a staff.  I don't own  a wading staff so I'm looking for recommendations. I know there is usually a branch or piece of deadwood available but that's a pain in the butt to look for every time.  I'd rather have one I can keep on my belt when I need it.  Not looking for something gold-plated but I don't buy junk either....What do you other oldish guys use?

Why do you think I fish just the sand. hurts less when you fall.

• Like 1

I've been using a Simms staff for years and I'm very happy with it. However I bought it years ago when the price was about $100, now they are approaching $150. Folstaf makes a nice staff and a bit cheaper. I don't suggest people go cheap on these things as there will come a time when you'll really be leaning on it in fast water and cheap will hurt you. Get the best you can afford. 

• Like 1

I'm not an expert but I purchased the Folstaf upon the recommendation of someone with considerably more experience than me.  That is not inexpensive either, listed at $125 at well known outdoor retailer's site, however, I can say as a 240lb mammal that it feels very sturdy and deploys quickly.  It folds up nicely into a leather pouch that straps to your wading belt.  It also comes with a block of wax to lubricate the joints. 

• Like 1

I have been using a Falstaff for a dozen + years. It has saved my butt more than once, (I’m 80 years) I really lean on it often for support. Five or so years ago I sent it back to to Falstaff to replace a few bowed sections. Between repair and shipping fees about $75 I got some extended use out of it. At this time I hope I can get a few (hopefully) more seasons out of it.  If I were buying again it would be Folstaft or Simms.

What dryflie said is right on. Don’t go cheap on a staff!

Agreed, I too bought a Folstaff based off user reviews and recommendations. (Found one new on Ebay in the off season for $75, approx. 4-5yrs ago)

I find it very useful and worth every penny. I still get careless and take an unexpected bath about once a summer on a slippery rock but the use of a staff has surely kept the number of falls to a minimum.

That 3rd contact point for balance is a huge reassurance, I would not step into moving water without it now.

Sixguns

I've had my Simms almost 10 years, use it regularly as I'm the world's most conservative wader.  Hasn't failed yet.  Like so much of their gear, up front cost not cheap but very pleased with the durability.

• Like 1

I bought a Folstaf about a year or so ago. I have been pleased with it. 

While I’ve never been a real aggressive wader I fish a couple rivers that can be a bit tricky. This staff has done everything I need it to do. It folds and unfolds easily.

like I said, it works for me.

I'm still fairly young and use the flostaff. My buddies call it my AARP stick. But hey it helps me immensely. Only problem is the joints stick and it's irritating. Yes I grease them. But as far as quality and construction it's top notch. I got the long one as I'm 6'03" and 260. I've never even come close to bowing it out or bending it and I've literally stumbled and put all my weight on it. That's my 2 cents. 

Simms. Good stuff. Not gold plated, but great quality and built to last. I beat the heck out of mine and it works great. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MerchantMarine2003 said:

I'm still fairly young and use the flostaff. My buddies call it my AARP stick. But hey it helps me immensely. Only problem is the joints stick and it's irritating. Yes I grease them. But as far as quality and construction it's top notch. I got the long one as I'm 6'03" and 260. I've never even come close to bowing it out or bending it and I've literally stumbled and put all my weight on it. That's my 2 cents. 

When the joints stick just tap the joint against your hand and pull, it should come apart. 

14 hours ago, Igloo lake said:

When the joints stick just tap the joint against your hand and pull, it should come apart. 

As best I know a Simms staff never sticks. At least mine never has. 

True story....20 years ago or so we were preparing for a western trip. My buddy Jack was in his 60s then and thought a wading staff made sense. We had a local fly shop that sold simms and Folstaf and being the penny pincher he was he went with the slightly cheaper FolStaf. The guy at the shop gave him the same advice, if it sticks just tap it on you hand or something else and it will come apart. Well stick it did, first day so a whack on the hand was tried, didn't work, then a tree trunk. Next day sticks again, this time on a rock unsticks it,. And so it goes for the entire week, sticks, hit a rock, hit another rock. By the time we get back that thing has been beat to death and looks it. Jack says lets take a ride to the shop, he''s going to ask them to replace it. Now Jack was a good customer but even that wasn't enough this time. They laughed at him and told him to go home. 

I have a Folstaff and an Orvis wading staff.  I spent good money on each.  I fish with more guys who use ski poles and that's what I use when these two go.

18 minutes ago, Upperandy said:

I have a Folstaff and an Orvis wading staff.  I spent good money on each.  I fish with more guys who use ski poles and that's what I use when these two go.

I used to make my own wading staffs but found them annoying, they don't fold up and get out of the way, always between your legs or wrapped up in your line. Ski poles will be the same I fear.  

8 hours ago, dryflie said:

I used to make my own wading staffs but found them annoying, they don't fold up and get out of the way, always between your legs or wrapped up in your line. Ski poles will be the same I fear.  

I guess the alternative is to be twenty again, then we wouldn't need a third leg. lol

Thanks for the suggestions, gentlemen.  I guess its either Simms or Folstaff...I'm almost certain I'm gonna go with the folstaff, only because after checking out  the Simms,  it seems a little long for me when its folded up...I think the folstaff is more compact when its not in use...which really only makes a difference when you're short like me.

Thanks again. 

Tethered ski pole...which I have. Great grip on rocks but a little additional stuff I realize....agreed on the desired wish for 20yo legs & balance:rolleyes:

22 hours ago, dryflie said:

As best I know a Simms staff never sticks. At least mine never has. 

True story....20 years ago or so we were preparing for a western trip. My buddy Jack was in his 60s then and thought a wading staff made sense. We had a local fly shop that sold simms and Folstaf and being the penny pincher he was he went with the slightly cheaper FolStaf. The guy at the shop gave him the same advice, if it sticks just tap it on you hand or something else and it will come apart. Well stick it did, first day so a whack on the hand was tried, didn't work, then a tree trunk. Next day sticks again, this time on a rock unsticks it,. And so it goes for the entire week, sticks, hit a rock, hit another rock. By the time we get back that thing has been beat to death and looks it. Jack says lets take a ride to the shop, he''s going to ask them to replace it. Now Jack was a good customer but even that wasn't enough this time. They laughed at him and told him to go home. 

This is the story of my flostaff and I. It sticks I smack a rock then the next section sticks and I smack that one too. It's a great product as far as build goes but taking it apart sure can be time consuming and frustrating. The other day in Pennsylvania I had a guy tell me to do myself a favor and buy the Simms as he had both and was sick of his flostaff sticking, same story as me. He even had both his staffs at his house and showed me that he had given up on the flostaff and kept it assembled as his loaner when people didn't have a staff and need one. 

17 minutes ago, MerchantMarine2003 said:

This is the story of my flostaff and I

Man, now I'm rethinking the folstaf.... I've read elsewhere about the sticking problem but some say that keeping the connections waxed alleviates the problem. True/false?

10 minutes ago, RRobert said:

Man, now I'm rethinking the folstaf.... I've read elsewhere about the sticking problem but some say that keeping the connections waxed alleviates the problem. True/false?

The problem with the sticking is that if you're standing mid stream and want to fold the staff away you've got nothing to whack it against. 

• Like 1

I don’t have one but after reading these guys statements I would go with the Simms personally like dry fly said what are you gonna smack it on if you are already in the water

• Like 1

Well I keep it lubed with paraffin wax as recommended. As I said it's a great build its rugged and USA made, that I love about the staff it's just going to be irritating to fold up. I've seen both the Simms and it's obvious the flostaff is made better but it drives me insane to fold it up, it's a struggle. 

I use my fly rod (carefully)

Went with the Simms. A little pricey and when folded its a little longer than I was looking for but it seems to be very well made. I see no reason that it wouldn't last for many years.

Appreciate everyone's input, thanks again.

Nice after use a couple times let us know how you like it