Maine Fly Fish

This report is almost a week old now, but I kept forgetting to post it. Anyway, I fished my favorite local river last week. It's one I've been fishing for a decade. I caught two on my first three casts and I hooked another three or four, but that was about it (I tried uploading my pics but for whatever reason the upload keeps failing). What saddened me, though, was that this particular body of water was a good foot below where it should be at this time of year. It has been this way for the past couple of years to the point where the very character of the river itself has changed. There aren't as many pools for the fish to hold in as there used to be and I haven't seen lamprey in awhile (the presence of lamprey are usually a sign that the river is healthy). The particular stretch that I fish gets very little pressure. In the past ten years I think I've run into another fisherman once. It's a little depressing, actually. There used to be days when I would catch dozens of brookies on that river. I haven't had a day like that in two or three years. :(

Been dry last couple summers.

Most rivers I frequent are down.  There hasn't been enough rain and very little run off coming from the mountains and hills.  

On 6/2/2018 at 9:33 PM, EdFly said:

Water is low everywhere

this,

I remember the days when rivers used to get flooded multiple times and were unfishable for weeks during the Spring, literally doesn't happen anymore.

Check out the USGS site right now... literally EVERY flowing water (listed on the USGS site) except Grand Lake Stream is below average, some significantly below average, for this time of year.

2 hours ago, TightLinesMaine said:

Check out the USGS site right now... literally EVERY flowing water (listed on the USGS site) except Grand Lake Stream is below average, some significantly below average, for this time of year.

This is looking unpleasantly like 2016.

I looked at the Wild River (Gilead) gauge just now. The water's been above 70° every day for the last week except today. The flow is about 1/3 the long term average for this date.

Not looking good unless we get some more rain.

46 minutes ago, plecain said:

I looked at the Wild River (Gilead) gauge just now. The water's been above 70° every day for the last week except today. The flow is about 1/3 the long term average for this date.

My God, 70 degrees at the end of May?!?! That's insane! This is a seriously depressing thread. I apologize for having started it.

I fished the st George a few days ago and it looked like it was the end of August and we hadn’t at rain in a month. Last year I was up to my chest in water catching trout on dries at this time. I also had a confused school of alewives to keep me company. Not sure why they overshot sennebec pond and were up that far?

21 hours ago, plecain said:

that is really concerning -_-, sounds more like July/August temps/flows for the Wild not early June... makes me want to hit the mountains sooner than later before most of the waters are in the high 60*s.

11 minutes ago, TightLinesMaine said:

that is really concerning -_-, sounds more like July/August temps/flows for the Wild not early June... makes me want to hit the mountains sooner than later before most of the waters are in the high 60*s.

If you go high enough you can still find places where the temps will be OK. The flows will be quite low, which is annoying and not good for the fish.

Going early couldn't hurt. I plan to.

The gauge on the Wild is a little misleading on temperature because it's right near the end of the river, about 300 yds. upstream from Rte 2. The flow rates are right, though, unfortunately.

Further up the Wild, in NH, the water temperatures will be considerably lower.