Maine Fly Fish

We Need Rain

I recently finished building a 6' 6" 3 weight glass rod and decided to try it out this weekend. So I headed north on Saturday to a small stream that holds wild rainbows. I was shocked upon arrival to see that there was hardly any water in the brook

picture.php?albumid=504&pictureid=3584

I rigged up anyways figuring I could still get some fish from the bigger pools that still had water

picture.php?albumid=504&pictureid=3583

I began getting into wild brookies like this right off the bat

picture.php?albumid=504&pictureid=3582

Did manage a few rainbows. I kept saying "I'll take a picture of the next one" eventually there wasn't a next one... It didn't take me long to fish this stream because of the lack of water.

The last fish I caught was this guy. Wild or stocked I'm not sure. It was in immaculate condition and the colors were very vivid. Regardless it was a great fish

picture.php?albumid=504&pictureid=3585

I decided to pack it up and check out some bigger water but on my way there I got side tracked and stopped by a pond that's had my interest for a while. When I pulled in and parked my truck there was another Gentleman fishing by the inlet of the pond. I walked over to see how he was doing. His name was Jim, and he's an avid fly fisher. In my wading pants and orvis shirt he immediately identified me as another fly fisherman. We began talking about the pond and the surrounding waters. He invited me to fish with him, I told him that I only had my 6' 6" 3 weight and 6' 2 weight with me. He said "They're right along the shore. No need to get it out there. You'll have fun". So I did. 

We must have stood there, right at the mouth of the inlet, for an hour or so swapping stories and catching plenty of fish like this

picture.php?albumid=504&pictureid=3586

We finally parted ways. Before leaving he told me that I should check out a spot not too far away. It sounded good to me so I figured why not. From what Jim said it was a brook that came out of another pond and held some good fish. 

It was some great looking water, tight quarters though

picture.php?albumid=504&pictureid=3587

Water was really stained too

picture.php?albumid=504&pictureid=3588

Saw some fish and hooked into one that seemed decent but he popped off. Definitely a spot I'll be back to. I decided to work my way back to my truck. 

Came across a couple youngsters doing 'the nasty'... Ah, to be young. You just never know what you'll see out there.

I decided to fish the same stream but above the pond. What interesting water! It was your typical freestone stream but with lots of muddy undercut banks, lots of wood cover and beaver dams mixed in

picture.php?albumid=504&pictureid=3590

I'd definitely like to explore it more

picture.php?albumid=504&pictureid=3595

There was all sorts of prints in the sand and mud. Moose, bear, deer and wading boots. Clearly I wasn't the only one to have fished here.

Still, I got some fish

picture.php?albumid=504&pictureid=3591

These guys were everywhere, too. Not a trout but still pretty

picture.php?albumid=504&pictureid=3592

The brookies in here were pretty interesting. They had some great patterns on their backs.

picture.php?albumid=504&pictureid=3594

picture.php?albumid=504&pictureid=3593

I think this area is going to be part of my regular rotation this year. We need rain bad. Luckily we're getting some this week. Hopefully it'll help.

picture.php?albumid=504&pictureid=3589

Looks like a very productive outing. It is fun to scout and find new spots to explore/fish.

Excellent pictures as well, thank you for sharing.

Sixguns

Looks like a beautiful outing, couple nice tails propelling those little stream jewels. 

Sixguns

Sounds like a productive trip. Beautiful fish and pictures. I don’t think I’ve ever caught chubs with fins like that, very pretty. 

This is my first year fly fishing in 30+ years, so it’s all new to me. Fishing the Presumpscot the other day I couldn’t believe how low that river was... Thanks for sharing, as I want to continue learning - and catching!

That is a dam controlled river, I was on a section yesterday and it was running at its average level. 

2 hours ago, Seamonkey84 said:

That is a dam controlled river, I was on a section yesterday and it was running at its average level. 

The lower presumpscot (westbrook) is running at less than half it's long term median flow for today's date (per USGS) meaning all of it's tributaries are probably very low, that and the total lake outflow is very low volume right now.

Nice! But we do need rain. My favorite local stream is a good foot below normal.

We are in desperate need of rain. I went to a brush fire yesterday and a lot of those back woods water sources are already dried up. Normally they don't get bad until august. Time to do a rain dance...

We could use rain here too, the Ossipee is down close to a foot over normal this for this time of year. With luck we will catch some tonight.

I spent yesterday in the mountains.

The good news is that the water temperature in the higher places is still in the upper-50°s.

The bad news is that there isn't much water. It's not as bad as 2016 (yet), but not as good as last year, either.

The October 2017 storm has rearranged some rivers more than I would have thought possible. Big rocks have moved 100-150 feet. Old channels have disappeared; new ones have appeared.

Other good news - the fishing was pretty good once I figured out what flies were going to work. 

Finally, the black flies weren't awful, just annoying.

Nice stuff Sflagg91!   Nice brookies & water...agree about the needed rain, everywhere.