Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
arrowflinger

New river and golden stoneflies

Warning this report is not about a Maine river or big brook trout:mellow: It is about fishing s new river. We took our new camper for it’s maiden voyage which just happened to be near a river I’d never fished before. Went down to the river and started exploring and fishing. Right off I saw water that should hold fish. Nothing! I tried woolybuggers, small nymphs, dry flies and about everything between. No luck. Decided to head back to camp and on there was a guy fishing. I stopped to see if he was doing better than me. He yells up golden bead head stone fly. There was a woman with him just watching. They were EMTs and the ambulance was parked just out of sight. They were taking a few minutes to enjoy the nice day rather than spending the whole day inside waiting for a call. We had a nice chat about how golden stoneflies where he answer to catching fish. They headed off and I put on a golden stonefly. Nothing. Then I thought zebra midge. Success, about a 10” brown. Lost one and missed one. The I saw a rise and there were a couple caddis in the air. I put on a tan emerger and wango another brown. I guess I caught 3 or 4 more browns around 10 “. All and all a good ending to a poor start. It’s interesting how one person can be catching on one fly and another caches fish going to a totally different fly in the exact same water.

Nice stuff arrowflinger,

I Luv Browns....I Luv Browns