Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Samonid

North of Rockland

Fished a spot north of Rockland tonight in the incoming and landed 4 fish. This was about a week and a half earlier than my first fish last year. I am surprised to see fish this early considering the late run this year. I always feel lucky to have a steady striper connection this far north, but even more happy that it fishes so early!

More bigger fish this season also enjoy 

I travel up as far as Machias for work quite a bit. How far is too far to reliably catch fish up your way?

• Like 1

Stripers go all the way to Canada so if you put in some time and it’s late enough in the season they will be there

2 hours ago, theflyguy said:

Stripers go all the way to Canada so if you put in some time and it’s late enough in the season they will be there

Not so much.  That is a resident population in Canada.

How did they get there? I assumed they were with the group. I think northernfly from Canada ( I believe that’s who it was) said he had a run in with some last year. I believe he said he hadn’t ever seen them so bad and was worried about the sea run and salmon fishery. Don’t quote me but I believe it went something like that.  Were they residents? I don’t fish that far up so I guess I don’t really know but I thought it was said they are from a southern river in Florida to the St Lawrence river in Canada 

3 hours ago, theflyguy said:

How did they get there? I assumed they were with the group. I think northernfly from Canada ( I believe that’s who it was) said he had a run in with some last year. I believe he said he hadn’t ever seen them so bad and was worried about the sea run and salmon fishery. Don’t quote me but I believe it went something like that.  Were they residents? I don’t fish that far up so I guess I don’t really know but I thought it was said they are from a southern river in Florida to the St Lawrence river in Canada 

So the two major migratory groups we see in the northeast are from Chesapeake bay and Hudson River.  Way back when there were breeding populations all the way up and most the way down the east coast, but dirty water, impoundments, and overfishing did that in.  The Canadian population had all but disappeared for quite some time.  But over the last ten to fifteen years it's been rebounding with a real boom occurring in the last 5/6.  Not only do they have numbers now, but size and solid breeding population.   As far as I know not much research has happened as to the cause, but a lot of salmon guys are freaking out. Not saying Hudson or Chesapeake fish couldn't go up to Canada, but thats not what the bulk of it is.  Stripers have been spread out all over the country at this point via stocking, west coast salt and all kinds of freshwater.

19 hours ago, RedGrayGhost said:

I travel up as far as Machias for work quite a bit. How far is too far to reliably catch fish up your way?

I have heard of fish being caught on a pretty regular basis on the  passagassawakeag in Belfast. Also, have heard of fish being caught on the Union River in Ellsworth. Never fished either but both look very fishy and have great  river access. Not sure about anything further north than that.

Redgreyghost, i work in ellsworth near on the union, they can and have been in the machias, same year as here, maybe 9yrs. now. since then i have tried all but 2 or 3 yrs. to fish them, nothing since, nothing. I will try again this year butt we will see.

On 6/13/2018 at 9:56 PM, James Browne said:

The Canadian population had all but disappeared for quite some time.  But over the last ten to fifteen years it's been rebounding with a real boom occurring in the last 5/6.  Not only do they have numbers now, but size and solid breeding population.   As far as I know not much research has happened as to the cause, but a lot of salmon guys are freaking out. Not saying Hudson or Chesapeake fish couldn't go up to Canada, but thats not what the bulk of it is.  Stripers have been spread out all over the country at this point via stocking, west coast salt and all kinds of freshwater.

I remeber reading that they have showed up further north than they historically ever have, where the natives didn’t even have a name for them. Stripers and their hybrid with white bass have been stocked all over  all right, when they are put into freshwater lakes and reservoirs they get FAT! Maine hasn’t tried them or with the hybrid “wipers”, understably since the same waters that could hold them over will usually be able to hold trout. There are some waters that could use a large predator to thin out perch and even all the small bass, and a vigorous hybrid could be the ticket as they won’t reproduce and can eat the bigger stuff splake can’t/won’t. 

6 minutes ago, Seamonkey84 said:

I remeber reading that they have showed up further north than they historically ever have, where the natives didn’t even have a name for them. Stripers and their hybrid with white bass have been stocked all over  all right, when they are put into freshwater lakes and reservoirs they get FAT! Maine hasn’t tried them or with the hybrid “wipers”, understably since the same waters that could hold them over will usually be able to hold trout. There are some waters that could use a large predator to thin out perch and even all the small bass, and a vigorous hybrid could be the ticket as they won’t reproduce and can eat the bigger stuff splake can’t/won’t. 

Yes to all of that! I've fished wipers in a few spots when I lived in Utah.  There's part of the salt lake that has dikes all the way around and reduced salinity.  It's full of 20#+ carp and wipers.  Wipers behaved pretty much exactly like stripers.  Having grown up in Maine, I got a real kick out of the novelty of that fishery.

Although I'm not a fan of most stocking programs, things like this seemed somewhat worthwhile.  Wipers are 100% sterile and they can most certainly clean up a bunch of bait fast.  They got obscenely round.  

I wish they would farm raise stripers/wipers in freshwater 100% isolated man made farm ponds.  It's actually very effective and it would be a great way to have striper available at market without the continued over harvesting  of our wild fish.

Buoy if you're reading this, do you know of any good scientific research on the subject of the Canadian population?

I wonder if wipers taste the same as a striper being it’s a hybrid with white bass? It would be pretty cool to have a spot around here we could fish for them. They should start farm raising and shut down the keeping of wild stripers for a while anyways. I really hate the 28+ thing I preferred the old slot. A lot less prime breeders got killed for the sake of a meal. I personally don’t eat them but understand that people like them and they are a good eating fish. Just wish the whole coast would go back to our old regs. 

I personally wonder how they would be ice fishing... 

24 minutes ago, theflyguy said:

I wonder if wipers taste the same as a striper being it’s a hybrid with white bass? It would be pretty cool to have a spot around here we could fish for them. They should start farm raising and shut down the keeping of wild stripers for a while anyways. I really hate the 28+ thing I preferred the old slot. A lot less prime breeders got killed for the sake of a meal. I personally don’t eat them but understand that people like them and they are a good eating fish. Just wish the whole coast would go back to our old regs. 

+100. And pretty much any fish tastes great covered in lemon butter and garlic lol.  I haven't had a wiper but I'd be willing to bet they taste the same or better.  They can farm straight up stripers too, don't need to be hybrids.  Big stripers are disgusting though, the texture is awful, and they are poison at breeding size anyways, just packed full of PCBs.  

Curious what pcbs

59 minutes ago, James Browne said:

+100. And pretty much any fish tastes great covered in lemon butter and garlic lol.  I haven't had a wiper but I'd be willing to bet they taste the same or better.  They can farm straight up stripers too, don't need to be hybrids.  Big stripers are disgusting though, the texture is awful, and they are poison at breeding size anyways, just packed full of PCBs.  

Curious what PCB stands for?

polychlorinated biphenyls, the Chesapeake became heavily polluted before they were banned in the late 70s. Stripers and Bluefish have a different type of fat from many other fish, their fat does an outstanding job of storing PCBs.  In both fish and humans, PCBs bioaccumulate meaning there is no way for our bodies to purge the stuff.  So the bigger and older a fish, the more of this crap.  PCBs can lead to a number of health issues, but in particular bad developmental disability in children.  Health advisorys have been issued in the past on this.  Women who are nursing, pregnant or may become pregnant should not ingest any stripers.  Children under 10 should not ingest any.  If I remember the advisory correctly it recommended only two 8 oz portions per year for healthy adults.  And older people were also advised against eating them.  I was raised eating very healthy organic food and have mostly continued that path, you couldn't pay me to eat a wild striper.  Another reason farm raised striper would be better for everyone, no PCBs!

Curious if anyone is landing anything in Bangor yet - don't need any hot spots, just wondering if there have been confirmed landings.  We're heading north this weekend and I was planning to work the 4 or 6 weight on fresh water but may bring up the heavier outfit if there's a chance for the striped ones.  

Thanks James good information right there. Curious though does the Hudson strain have the same issue? So a 28+ would be full of pcbs is what your saying I take it. Like I said I don’t eat them but I know people that do and my grandfather has been wanttme to bring him one as it has been years since he’s eaten striper. I have a hard time even keeping one for him as I normally don’t want to stop fishing because a got a keeper for him so I don’t keep any lol. After you telling me this I am not sure I want too.

1 hour ago, theflyguy said:

Thanks James good information right there. Curious though does the Hudson strain have the same issue? So a 28+ would be full of pcbs is what your saying I take it. Like I said I don’t eat them but I know people that do and my grandfather has been wanttme to bring him one as it has been years since he’s eaten striper. I have a hard time even keeping one for him as I normally don’t want to stop fishing because a got a keeper for him so I don’t keep any lol. After you telling me this I am not sure I want too.

Yeah 28" is gonna have some PCBs for sure, but I'm really talking those 25-50lbs fish.  Last striper I harvested was 13 years ago, hook had inflicted heavy damage to gill/rake.  Worked on reviving for a while but it bled out a died.  My Mom and Grandmother had been asking for a fish so they got it.  It's tough with Grandma, she's going on 90 and has plenty of not so good for your health habits.  She used to fish and fed the family with it.  So knowing how much she enjoys it I say give her the fish.

Yeah i get that. I would keep it if it was a keeper size and it was gonna die might as not waste it. Sometimes there’s nothing you can do but I will say flies generally don’t do as much damage as other means of fishing. It is rare I make a fish bleed or hook it deep but with conventional gear especially bait they tend to take it in much deeper and can be almost impossible to get the hook out sometimes and I always hated to have to cut a line and leave the hook deep inside them. Can’t be good couldn’t imagine what it would be like for the fish. Half the reason I stopped using conventional gear hated what happened to the fish. Rapalas and stuff like it with multiple trebles always do more damage then needed.

On 6/15/2018 at 2:28 PM, theflyguy said:

Thanks James good information right there. Curious though does the Hudson strain have the same issue?

Used to...and probably still does to some extent...in Stillwater area(above Troy) on down, but NYS has been working on the problem for a while....since the late 70s...  Not sure of its successes...I haven't been back for much time since 79'.

Hi all,

I can tell you there is a lot of stripers in Canada. Plenty in the Maritimes for years, to a point it is raising concerns in the majectic Miramichi salmon river. It is just an example.

You are right the population was completely disappeared for years in Quebec. Gouvernment reintroduced some in the St-Laurence river lately. They are back now but fishing isn’t allowed for the most part yet. Although there is many salmon rivers flowing into the St-Lawrence river and now and then stripers are found in salmon pools which also raises concerns.

We are told there is 2 populations in Quebec, one recently reintroduced in the St-Lawrence which is still minimal and another coming from the maritimes. I can tell you the latter provides some outstanding fishing opportunities in some regions. I will obey by the rules, no spot burning !

Regards,

I talked to a friend from Maine who has fished Miramichi salmon for years. He told me that stripers are so numerous that he paddled a canoe downstream and saw stripers under the canoeall the way downstream for 1/2  mile. 

Also, he said that one day he saw an entire huge school of stripers break the surface, all at once for as far as he could see.

I like Maine because I fish in the morning, shop in the afternoon and dine in a good restaurant in the evening with the lady. She is as happy as me here. 

I come down here since a good 15 years now with great pleasure but I have yet to find a steadily productive spot to fish. It seems to be on and off everywhere I try. I went at a friend house in the east of Quebec once for stripers. The fishing we had was totally unbelievable. He told me it is always like that. 

The difference is my family is not interested to spend vacations in a place where there is nothing to do except fishing. 

And I agree, life is good in Maine although I work hard to find those fish !

Curiously last year wasn’t bad for me but this year my spots are totally changed and seems to be less productive.

...I have to go for the dinner with the lady !!!

On 6/13/2018 at 12:18 PM, RedGrayGhost said:

I just heard that stripers are being caught in Milbridge. One guy got 7.