Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
aland

Fiberglass anchor pole

I have been looking for a way to stop the boat on shallow and mid level flats - I found some ads for a fiberglass anchor pole. Looks pretty cool - I think it will fit the bill - anchors are a pain, noisy, and messy. Looks like all it is is an 8' 3/4" fiberglass pole  with a handle and a tip. Anyone have any experience with these - or any ideas as to where to find the pole. I have found them online but shipping is expensive. Wondering if there is anywhere local.

Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 11.19.59 AM.png

It looks just the pole we use to push around flats, just buried in the mud and tied off on the end.  Have you looked into power poles?

Yeah - they are nice - I have thought about them - but pretty pricey. I have a 1979 170 Aquasport - I think the power pole might be worth more than the hull. They are pretty bulky when not deployed too. I'm not sure how noisy they are but half the time we drift onto fish and we are on top of them before we notice them. I think the noise of the power pole might be too much. I would like to just be able to plant the stake and tie off. It is a push pole but a small diameter. Really meant as an anchor, I saw some video of a guy planting while the boat was moving it and it swung the boat around. Pretty impressive.  We also pull up to beaches a lot and this seems like a great way to anchor or a half an hour or so.

Yes the power poles are damn expensive but they work well.  On the skiff that I pole we actually do exactly what you've described using the pole as an anchor, we just tie it off to the leaning rails on the bow.  Unfortunately no piece of gear will help with rolling up on fish but hey that's part of the fun with skinny water.  Hope you find an affordable good solution 

cheers 

Yeah I just watched a video and you are correct  - those are pretty slick. I got a bit frustrated yesterday -  had what I thought was a perfect drift - only to have the wind swirl on a point and I had to fire up the engine. Also - I haven't really perfected the crab techniques out yet - but I'm pretty sure a drifting platform is not the correct way to fish them.

Stake out pole from (Stick it) actor pin systems, i use them for windy days oceanside tarpon in the keys, they work great, i just use my power pole up here,,,  Capt. Eric

To be honest I have seen the crab pot catch fish in any manner of fishing it. Couple strip pause is the generall way I catch with it but have caught quite a few stripping it in fast even with two hand strips. It is a amazing fly. Good luck on the pole thing. I like James idea as it would be double purpose and you might not have to turn your motor on just pole back to where you want to be or move too 

6 hours ago, aland said:

Yeah I just watched a video and you are correct  - those are pretty slick. I got a bit frustrated yesterday -  had what I thought was a perfect drift - only to have the wind swirl on a point and I had to fire up the engine. Also - I haven't really perfected the crab techniques out yet - but I'm pretty sure a drifting platform is not the correct way to fish them.

Yup, like Adam said it'll catch in all sorts of ways, even bad presentation.  I like when I'm sight fishing and throw a bad shot hitting the fish right on the head with a splash, then it just looks up and eats it:lol:  

I definitely prefer to be in a fixed position with little or no current for fishing crabs.  I think I drive some people nuts when I fish on their boats cause most folks like drifts and I'm always trying to throw the anchor!

25 minutes ago, James Browne said:

Yup, like Adam said it'll catch in all sorts of ways, even bad presentation.  I like when I'm sight fishing and throw a bad shot hitting the fish right on the head with a splash, then it just looks up and eats it:lol:  

I definitely prefer to be in a fixed position with little or no current for fishing crabs.  I think I drive some people nuts when I fish on their boats cause most folks like drifts and I'm always trying to throw the anchor!

Lol yeah luckily my boating friend is a crab aholic too

Found these:

https://www.amleo.com/fiberglass-tree-stakes-25-year/p/VP-FSXX/

Stakes are $10 - shipping $10 - just ordered.  Think I might get the handle from Stick It for $13. Not that I think the $90 shipped from Stick It is unreasonable but it is really a fiberglass pole with a handle right? . I can already see that this is going to change things for me fishing the sand and mud.

Thanks for all the input and I'll show you the final results when I finish - thinking of a 7'' bungee docking line to attach.

Wow, even if those only last a couple seasons it’s only $20 shipped. 

5 hours ago, squish said:

Fiberglass tree stakes are under 20 bucks too.

That's what it is - I couldn't find one local, called a few greenhouses. Any idea where to find one - actually want two for pulling up to sandbars to hang out.

Try a search for "FiberStake".  I got a couple from my local DPW a few years ago for free (8 footers).  Maybe try a tree service, landscape company or arborist if you can't find online.

Just got my pole - haven’t rigged it yet but .. thought I’d share. My youngest picked up this one - his personal best 32” - topwater at noon in skinny water.  Oldest got the second (a bit smaller) today - also on top. 

FB0DFFF7-3F3E-46B3-984C-715C7E0D918C.jpeg

D849021F-2862-4C48-9DE9-55DE39200BB4.jpeg