Maine Fly Fish
theflyguy

Sunny day clear water

Went out this afternoon for a bit of the put going and a touch of the incoming. Didn’t expect much do to it being so sunny and clear on the flats. As I walked up I saw birds hammering the shore and clouds of sand eels. I was gonna fish the crab but went with a black clouser once I saw what was going on as I know they work well here. Once I got into position I could see i dark a spot near the bait cloud and made a cast a bit past and about 8-10 ft in front of it strip strip strip pause SLAM fish on.

485C5E63-20E9-4557-BF5A-B64F64C06DA1.thumb.jpeg.e796f48928e5d464e4376297f4869ae3.jpegI find picture like this never do justice but this was a fairly fat 35 ish fish. Actually first fish to see the reel this year and have caught plenty in the 27-32 range. In the process of landing the fish I pushed back a bit and two boats came ripping in fishing where I just was. So I walked by them and kept fishing but not to happy about the boater I proceeded to catch a few mid twenties and lower twenties as the boats didn’t catch any. Once the boater pushed back out and I was working back to where I was I got another takeF4009496-3B01-49BD-B399-404B24B0824F.thumb.jpeg.fafb683a4d78a57e4013054a6061231f.jpeg30 incher. I find it funny how people think because you get a big fish in a spot that where they all must be. Need less to say was a decent dayE4818E05-09E8-4A15-AD17-395C5151582A.thumb.jpeg.48be483a802f6669b262d0c953ee0689.jpeg

1. Really nice fish! Glad to hear you caught more fish after the boater left.

Hmmm, interesting...Black clouser huh Adam, :ph34r:

Nice fish man.

My favorite conditions right there!  Minus the boat encroachment.  Nice fish Adam.

Is it wrong that I have hundreds upon hundreds of striper flies and not one is a black clouser?:D

43 minutes ago, brosa1450 said:

Hmmm, interesting...Black clouser huh Adam, :ph34r:

Nice fish man.

Lol I know you love black

33 minutes ago, James Browne said:

My favorite conditions right there!  Minus the boat encroachment.  Nice fish Adam.

Is it wrong that I have hundreds upon hundreds of striper flies and not one is a black clouser?:D

Black is producing extremely well in a certain area. Probably where you bumped into mal. I thought about doing a guitar minnow in black

39 minutes ago, theflyguy said:

Black is producing extremely well in a certain area. Probably where you bumped into mal. I thought about doing a guitar minnow in black

Yeah I know it works well, and yes definitely in spots like where I saw Mal.  Used to fish black clousers especially 2005-2007 when I fished at night a lot.  Just not my style anymore if that makes sense.  For the most part I only fish flies I enjoy tying and they just don't jazz me up.  Lots of very productive ways to fish in those juvy herring.

I do have a couple new black flies for some July nighttime missions, not trying to hijack your thread but thought I'd share.  Laid up on the couch with either nasty bronchitis or whooping cough bored out of my mind.IMG_6867.thumb.JPG.0a50998bbe7aeb1e381fd16da97bc0e5.JPG

And if you're gonna do anything all black better do it all white too.

IMG_6873.thumb.JPG.fcd59b501e82496cebecd3fc29d1291f.JPG

Ohh nice I like that what’s the tail? Yeah black and white to must have colors for a lot of patterns. I hear you on the clousers I just love how easy and fast to tie they are for me. I didn’t do much tying this winter so I just zip out a few clousers or crabs then head out. I tried black decievers there but although they worked the action seemed much slower. Seems like the sparser the better for me lately. Literally could probably just slap a pinch of black deer hair on a hook and get them

James have you fished those dragon tails much yet? Adam theyre made by cascade crest tools/Orvis called Magnum's Dragon Tails.  I posted about them a little while back.  So far they've been great but they fall apart pretty easily, which seems to be the general consensus on them.  They also don't shed water all that great, so it can be like casting a wet sock at times.  They have gotten me all of my fish 33-35 this year though.

Nice I will check them out does anybody have them in stock or is it a order thing

1 hour ago, theflyguy said:

Ohh nice I like that what’s the tail? Yeah black and white to must have colors for a lot of patterns. I hear you on the clousers I just love how easy and fast to tie they are for me. I didn’t do much tying this winter so I just zip out a few clousers or crabs then head out. I tried black decievers there but although they worked the action seemed much slower. Seems like the sparser the better for me lately. Literally could probably just slap a pinch of black deer hair on a hook and get them

Oh no l fish tons of clousers and have sports throwing them too, just not black.  A well balanced and properly retrieved clouser has an action that is very hard for bass to resist.

Oh and we have the dragon tails in stock at Eldredge Bros, just call to check on current color availability before you drive down they've been selling hot since March.

1 hour ago, StrippinStreamahs said:

James have you fished those dragon tails much yet? Adam theyre made by cascade crest tools/Orvis called Magnum's Dragon Tails.  I posted about them a little while back.  So far they've been great but they fall apart pretty easily, which seems to be the general consensus on them.  They also don't shed water all that great, so it can be like casting a wet sock at times.  They have gotten me all of my fish 33-35 this year though.

Nice!  Glad to hear you got some good fish on em.  The dragon tails have many drawbacks including high price, poor durability, fouling, and poor casting/water retention.  I cut them in half and trim up the fat side so I get two tails for one, and they are much much more comfortable to cast.  Other than testing during April I haven't fished them much.  First day fishing it involved maybe twenty schoolies and one keeper and that tail was trashed.  So now I'm mostly just hanging on to them for guiding if my sports want try em, and for night time sessions when I know I'm on big fish.

Putting that deer hair head on them with counter weight under the red body braid makes them sweep about 6-10" side to side just like walking a plug, but combined with that wiggly sluggo action on the pause.