Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Ftyer

Access Question

Hey everyone, so I've been having some issues with accessing water and what is or isn't legal. I called the state department, but I can't say I got an entirely clear answer. All of that said, would anyone be able to point me in the direction of where to find out whether or not water is "private?" I was under the assumption that if you were wading/fishing anywhere between the high/low water mark, then you were fine, but apparently that's not always the case?

I apologize if this subject has been discussed a million times already, but if anyone could point me in the right direction or give me a general rule to work with, that would be awesome. I appreciate all the help that comes from this forum and I thank any contributors to this thread in advance. 

http://www.maine.gov/dacf/parks/docs/public-shoreline-access-in-maine.pdf

read that hopefully it will help.  Basically if you access the intertidal zone (below mean high tide) via legal means for the purpose of fishing you are good to go.  There are most certainly exclusion zones though.  For instance your not going to walk the  shoreline at President Bush compound or the Shipyard in Kittery.  And even when you follow the law 100% you will still have some homeowners come out yelling and/or call the cops.  Happens to me at least once every year, usually 5-6 times and it's usually the same people!  I try to be as nice and respectful to them as possible as it is actually their property.  Oddly enough turned a few of those angry homeowners into friends.  Others have gone too far though and I've actually contacted the police and threatened to press charges if they continued harrasing me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You're the man, James. You've been answering my questions all week and I'm super grateful for it. Thank you very much. 

Fishing, fowling, and navigating, my friend! Those that get upset tend to be even less happy when the activity in question is fowling...

2 hours ago, buoy said:

Those that get upset tend to be even less happy when the activity in question is fowling...

No doubt about that- becomes evident very quickly if you're a waterfowler. ;)

Tough to argue with a guy carrying a 12 guage.