Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Beargrease

Broken Scott 9wt Fly Rod

I was lucky enough to purchase a 10'  9 Weight Scott A3 while in Colorado a number of years ago (a divorce present to myself...). I have abused that rod and finally broke it this weekend. There going to fix or replace it but I am out 5 weeks before it returns. I am looking for alternatives until I get the old girl back although nothing seems to feel quite like it so far. Looking for suggestions on a similar Rod for the time being. I am not rich by any sense of the word I just need a functional 9 wt rod for the time being and I am used to the longer rod at this point. I use it for Stripers, Pike as well as some trolling. Thanks in advance for the input.

Chris

I'll just say that I'm a fan of TFO in general. I throw an 8 weight Kreh model in the salt a good bit of the time and enjoy it. I've also broken a different rod of theirs and thirty bucks and two weeks later I had a replacement. 

LLbean silver ghost 8wt. or 9wt.   Take it back within a year if you need to or use as back up.  Also, Fenwick  Aetos  great rod for the money! Has high ratings for a inexpensive rod.

Don't discount the Cabelas rods.  I know the look at my rod crowd don't like them but they most likely have never even tried one.  Easy money and good for you to have as a back-up.

While I agree with Cabela's having nice rods, I was told a few weeks back that their rods really don't carry a warranty beyond a year for damage that's your fault, just might be something to consider when choosing a brand. 

+1 to TFO and cabelas rods for a great value. I love the way my TFO 5wt feels, and when cabelas has rods on sale it’s hard to beat. I have their LSI 8wt that I use for bass and pike. 

38 minutes ago, Kevin McKay said:

Tidal 

Have one, love it!

Not cheap, but you do get what you pay for.