Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
733subducker

Advise on rod length for kid...

We are thinking about getting an affordable combo,  maybe an LLB Quest outfit for my little girls birthday. She is turning 9 and about 70 pounds. She has been asking to fly fish! 

Im really just questioning the length and weight. Maybe 8.5' in a 5wt, or 7.5' in a 4wt?

Leaning toward the 5wt.

My grandson is 12 but he is a little fella at 4'9" and about 90lbs. The gentleman at Cabela's that outfitted him suggested a 9ft rod in 5wt to "get the line up off the water" and aid with casting.

When my son started at 9 years old I went to Beans.  They recommend Quest outfit in either 7' or 7-6" in 4 wt.  Their theory was that he would have better control, less waggle and therefore better casts.  FWIW, he mastered it quickly and I had few issues with wind knots and such.  He still uses it at age 17 and outcasts me with my H2, hmmm.  

I THINK I MAY GO WITH THE 7.5' - 4WT JUST TO GET HER STARTED. I'LL GET HER SOME PANFISH.  

WE CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER AS SHE GROWS. I HOPE SHE ENJOYS IT.

Good luck and have fun with it!

I got my son the Echo Gecko 7' 9" outfit for his first Christmas last year - heard lots of good things about that outfit.  I wish I could advise on use but he's only 7months. 

Santa brought my son a 7' 4wt Eagleclaw Featherlight.  he is 5 and weighs about 45 lbs.  With a reel and line, the whole set up was about $40 on amazon.  

Obviously we could have gone a notch or two higher, but for $40, he can have fun with it, and no harm if the accidents happen.  He still relys heavily on a two handed cast, because of the weight and length, but it is doing the job for now.  

I will also admit that I hijack it often to throw poppers for panfish, and small dries for mountain trout, and it is a fun little stick. 

9 hours ago, 733subducker said:

I THINK I MAY GO WITH THE 7.5' - 4WT JUST TO GET HER STARTED. I'LL GET HER SOME PANFISH.  

WE CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER AS SHE GROWS. I HOPE SHE ENJOYS IT.

Sounds right to me. All my grandchildren started off with shorter easy to handle rods. 

Ron

TGIF - that sounds like a great little outfit.   I'm keeping fingers crossed that mine is not too big for his early years. 

Try a Tenkara rod. No reel to complicate things. 

Hope she gets  some. That’s pretty cool. Does she like the rod?

42 minutes ago, theflyguy said:

Hope she gets  some. That’s pretty cool. Does she like the rod?

SHE DOES! I THINK SHE WILL REALLY LIKE IT WHEN SHE GETS THAT FIRST FISH.

SHE ALREADY DOES VERY VERY WELL ON A SPINNING ORD AND LOVES TO FISH.

That’s great she will love the feel of having a fish on them I am sure. I wish my son liked it more but he rather play video games hopefully someday