Maine Fly Fish

I have taken the plunge and decided to build a skin-on-frame canoe. I'm going whole-hog with this given my intention of canoeing the Mackenzie River in the Northwest Territories in a few years, and have decided on an 18' boat. I designed it using some free design software out there that incorporates some calculations from one of my favorite canoe designers. The skin will be ballistic-grade nylon which is, literally, used to make bullet-proof vests. Anyone else ever done something like this?

Sounds awesome!  I've never done it but one of my former colleagues had.  He didn't finish it due to a number of reasons though.

Wish you the best with it; will be an extremely rewarding ride once complete.  Good luck!

I helped my grandfather build a wood one when I was younger. It was a blast. Great memories. Have fun with it 

I actually just bought some ash for the ribs, and some decking for the longitudinal frame parts, I bought the skin from Corey I'm going for a 25 pound or lighter canoe for the river and local ponds. I haven't done this before so I got enough stuff for 2 boats in case I need to burn the first one.

On 6/14/2018 at 2:42 PM, ossipee said:

I actually just bought some ash for the ribs, and some decking for the longitudinal frame parts, I bought the skin from Corey I'm going for a 25 pound or lighter canoe for the river and local ponds. I haven't done this before so I got enough stuff for 2 boats in case I need to burn the first one.

Nice! You'll have to post pictures when you're done. I'm planning on using Alaskan yellow cedar with some Western red cedar highlights. I'm toying with using African padauk for the stems, but that might be overkill. I plan to make my own paddles as well.

31 minutes ago, searsportshuffle said:

Who was the designer?  

Mine or ossipee's? I designed mine myself using BearBoatSP software, but I took my inspiration from a variety of sources. The general shape is inspired by John Winters' designs (my father bought one of John Winters' first Kipawa models from Swift and I have always loved those canoes). The design for the hull construction is mostly borrowed from DreamCatcher boats but with some input from a friend who builds boats. I haven't decided on how to do the seats yet. 

Saw a Swift up close in Vt.  Wow! And Wow!  Having  every part of the canoe designed for your own needs and wants will make it a treasure. Should be a show stopper and conversation piece very time it's out.  Please be sure to share some pics along the process. 

34 minutes ago, searsportshuffle said:

Saw a Swift up close in Vt.  Wow! And Wow!  Having  every part of the canoe designed for your own needs and wants will make it a treasure. Should be a show stopper and conversation piece very time it's out.  Please be sure to share some pics along the process. 

Thanks! I definitely will. Swift canoes are great (we actually know the Swift family---"Big" Bill Swift, who passed away a number of years ago, was a great guy and he had this awesome laugh). My dad gave his Kipawa to my sister and bought a lighter one last year since my folks are in their mid-70s and decided something lighter was probably a good idea. Not sure which model they got this time.