Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
caught_the_fever

Thoughts / Opinions?

So I had a few minutes to fish this evening - spot just a few minutes away from home.  I arrive and see another fly fisherman off in the distance.  I thought to myself it was pretty cool as it's normally spinning equipment I encounter (not that I discount that method of fishing).   On my second cast, I land a nice schoolie, which is quickly released in pursuit of my next fish.  Shortly after I catch my second.  I notice a guy who had been watching the other fly fisherman, work his way over behind me.   After walking up the shoreline to release a bad backcast, the spectator asks me "what fly are you using?"   Now, I don't know who this guy is but I cordially reply a clouser.  He asks color.   I respond with black, which I was fishing.

within 5 minutes, I notice him texting on his phone then calling someone.  A short while later, I notice him motioning to the guy with the fly rod who comes over and starts changing flies.  No big deal but here comes the kicker - without a word, or asking, he's standing within 20' of me - no one else within 500 yards of us.  Some of his bad back casts landing on rocks between us. 

Now I've received plenty of help in my day, especially from people on this board, but the last move didn't rub me right.  Had he struck up conversation, I would have gladly invited him to come join me.  I would likely have also offered what type of line I was using and at what distance it seemed to take to initiate strikes in this area.  Since he failed to ask what I thought was a key question - (ie. mind if I fish on top of you) - I wasn't offering any help.

How would you have reacted?

I hate that. I absolutely hate it. Very very infrequently do I tell the truth when another fisherman asks any questions before striking a convo. If they strike up a convo, then I will spill my soul to them. If they ask, what fly, what’s hitting, where are good spots first, I will lie everytime. Doesn’t hurt to talk with a fellow fisherman before trying to dig for gold. I’ve never had a conversation with a fellow fisherman and walked away feeling worse because of it. 

as far as how close he was, also would have bothered me. I’m never amazed though. It happens in the salt, on freshwater, on hard water. There isn’t much you can do, right? Just have to deal with the uncomfortableness of the situation, which sucks! 

Its pretty easy to get upset about because it sucks. I would like to think that someday, people that just don’t have a clue will get a clue. It also makes me feel better that hopefully that clue will come from somebody who really doesn’t like people in their space and that doesn’t mind yelling or swearing. I’m not the kind of guy that gives clues, but sometimes Id like to be....I think it would be funny to all of the sudden start throwing rocks or sand out into a school, maybe going for a swim. It would certainly make him leav!

I can fish close to people I know or cane fish but don’t care for people I don’t know cramping me cause I am catching. Last week I caught a decent fish like 27incher and had to pull back out of my spot to land it. In the process of doing this and releasing the fish a guy with a spin rod walked right into my spot and started fish right where I was. Literally 10ft from me. I was also fishing one of my favorite spots earlier this week hooked into a nice fish and two boats came zipping over and yelled “is it a good one” I tried to lie about it and say no just a dink but that didn’t work. Was a 35 incher. Both boats stayed 30-40 ft from me for a hour after. I definitely wasn’t pleased

The world be full of idiots. Why not some as fly fishers. You did well, I'd have had words with him about his lack of respect of your space.

Appreciate the thoughts guys.  Since I'm still fairly new to the fly game, I didn't know if this approach was common/accepted.  All seem to express thoughts similar to those I had.  Sorry if taken as a rant by some, just wished to understand if my interpretation of that was consistent with the experienced in the crowd.

They stuck around and watched me fish until I was leaving.  I nearly approached them at that time to call out his buddy gaining intel then to extend a lack of courtesy.  However, in the event it was me just making a bad read I let it go, just wanted to get home to my son at that point in the night.  I figure I'll have an opportunity should I see him again - I'll recall face and outfit - and definitely won't hold back the next time if encroached upon.   Obviously I understand it's not my ocean and I generally lean on the theory of the more the merrier but done appropriately.  

I would have walked over and said something to the effect of, "If you wanted to know where to fish and what fly to use, you could have just asked.  That would have been the polite thing to do."  No need to get bent out of shape or confrontational.

I understand your feelings I would have had similar thoughts. There are some people that just don’t have common curtesy or common sense. It’s all about them. I believe you were the bigger man and acted appropriately. I wasn’t there so I don’t know the exact sense of things but I might have said something like, “I’m sorry am I in your way?”  What might have been a real hoot if you had moved away from him 50 or so yards and caught another fish.

Guess the bottom line is treat other people/ fisherman like you would want to be treated and 99% of the time things will be good. The other 1% well, we have to deal with rude a$$holes!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Aldo said:

I would have walked over and said something to the effect of, "If you wanted to know where to fish and what fly to use, you could have just asked.  That would have been the polite thing to do."  No need to get bent out of shape or confrontational.

I hear you, Aldo.   I don't have much desire to get confrontational and I didn't let it ruin my night as I fish to relax and enjoy the outdoors, the dude abides so to speak.  This is why I extended the benefit of the doubt on the first occasion and nothing was said.  That stated given feedback here I also feel it's reasonable to be assertive and let others know I don't wish to be encroached upon if there's plenty of space all around us, particularly when bouncing hooks within 10' of me.   I'm reasonable enough to understand if I go to some areas it may be more of a shoulder-to-shoulder experience.

As some know I'm happy to share what little knowledge I've gained - just like to have a sense of who someone is before doing so.   I've previously encountered poachers at this very area and don't really wish to help that cause.  But if I know I'm dealing with a respectful person just looking to catch a fish, happy to help.

Anyhow, once again, appreciate the insight guys and good luck this weekend.   Hope all the dad's out there have a great Father's Day.

Thanks CTF hope the same for you. I got the ok to fish all day so I am stoked. Lol