Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Sflagg91

A quick report

I was perfectly content wet wading in 60 degree water and catching wild brookies like this most the morning

picture.php?albumid=508&pictureid=3633

Then I threw my hopper pattern up under an overhanging boulder next to a small waterfall and the rest happened in slow motion. I saw a fish shoot up, open his mouth and just annihilate my fly and suddenly I was hooked up with this handsome devil

picture.php?albumid=508&pictureid=3632

This is the largest brookie I've caught on a mountain stream and honestly I didn't expect to land him. He ran me all around the pool getting above me nosing into the current and diving down into the rocks. I could already see it happening and feel the heartache. However I was able to position myself just right and turn him downstream then horsed him into the net.

As much as I love the little wild fish I'm glad to see fish like this. I can't help but think if its fish like this that used to be common in the rivers and ponds in this area. As he swam away back to his lair I realised how lucky we are to still have fish like this hanging around.

Hope everyone is having a great fourth!

That is a very large mountain stream brookie. Very cool. Do you have a pic of the popper? Would love to tie some up! Great work! 

4 minutes ago, LaBonte207 said:

That is a very large mountain stream brookie. Very cool. Do you have a pic of the popper? Would love to tie some up! Great work! 

0704181704a.jpg

• Like 1

What a beautiful fish! Congrats! How long?

36 minutes ago, McGregor956 said:

What a beautiful fish! Congrats! How long?

Didn't get a length on it. Just a quick picture then back in the water. It had quite the girth on it as well.

18 minutes ago, TightLinesMaine said:

holy cow! what a fish for a small stream! 2 wt? 3 wt? I bet you won't be forgetting that battle anytime soon.

3 weight. I tried getting him in as soon as possible because I didn't want to stress him.

It is indeed terrestrial time.....  Beautiful brookie man!   It really is a priviledge to hook-up with trout like that in one's chosen small stream.

8 hours ago, Bigspencer said:

It is indeed terrestrial time.....  Beautiful brookie man!   It really is a priviledge to hook-up with trout like that in one's chosen small stream.

Yep! Been having a lot of luck with terrestrials lately. Its seemed lately the bigger the better!

That last one is the prettiest fish I've seen all season!  Nice job.

Great picture of a nice looking brookie and nice report!

12 hours ago, RRobert said:

That last one is the prettiest fish I've seen all season!  Nice job.

Thanks! One of the prettiest I've personally seen and not just because I caught it. Those fins were just beautiful. The fish look like it had been painted by a fine artist.

• Like 1