Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Mainiac

Pogies are in.

enhance

Adult Pogies can be up to fourteen or more inches long, four inches wide and a couple inches thick. They usually arrive in schools of 100,000 or more. Big bass love 'em as they are full of fatty oil. It's not easy to imitate a Pogy . Big flies are bulky and difficult to cast in any wind. Nows the time for ten weights and 500 grain shooters.

The fly pictured above was tied with S.F. fibers which come in sixteen inch lengths and all kinds of colors. For a Pogy fly I like to mix yellow, green and bronze fibers to get the shimmer effect of the real thing. Gold or copper flash mixed in looks great. This particular fly is thirteen inches long, three and a half inches wide and about two inches thick. This is accomplished by layering the fibers to create bulk. The nice thing about S,F. fibers is they shed water when casting. They're still subject to wind influences but don't give you that "wet sock" feeling when you pick them out of the water.

When fishing near Pogies it's best to get under the school or beside it. If you cast to the middle of the school your offering becomes one of thousands. Not easy for the bass to pick out. Under the school is where you'll find the biggest girls. They like to hug bottom and then attack from below as Pogies usually run near the surface.

If there are Bluefish about they will be all over the Pogies. While it's very difficult to get a fly down past them, when blues are on the feed the biggest stripers will be hanging near bottom under the Pogy school. There they casually move about sucking down Pogy halves produced by the blitzing Bluefish.This can be the most exciting fishing you'll ever see if you can find the Pogies in tight enough to cast too. Boats are best for fishing the immense schools of Pogies.

This is a special time where you could get the biggest Striped Bass of your life. Get after 'em.

• Thanks 1

Lots of great information in your post, Mainiac!   Thank you for taking the time and being so willing to share what you've picked up along the way.   You've helped me have a lot more fun with the fly rod in the salt:  much appreciated.

Now if I only had the time and money for all the different techniques to be successful!

You're welcome guys. Anytime.

Nice fly Mal!  Acres and acres of pogies all over. I'm freaking out right now, bass fishing is killer right now and that's awesome, but if the tuna move on these bunker it's gonna be nuts and I'm fully prepared for it.

We want f’ videos of you hooking a tuna. :lol:

My best day of striper fishing happened 12 years ago when a small school of pogies got pinned on the beach by large blues and stripers on an outgoing tide at around 2 in the afternoon. A friend and I were knee deep in the surf surrounded by 16-17” pogies. There were times when it seemed like we could have picked up the stripers with ours hands. At one point I foul hooked a pogie and a lady watching me in unhook it said “oh that’s a nice one!” My buddy looked over and said “lady that’s just the bait!” And proceed to hook land a massive blue. We could clearly see our flies and every follow, every take, every refusal. It went on for a about two hours. Absolutely amazing. 

Been out three times since the pogies showed up and havent seen anything harass them.  Kind of a bummer. 

Tim , did you try to get underneath them ?

I hope to get out this weekend and hopefully get into some decent fish been a bit for me. Been just to damn hot

I've seen nothing on them yet besides seals. Let's hope some predators show up this year and having all the pogies isn't a frustrating bust like it was last year in Casco Bay

I'm sure I'll enjoy my weekend up north but reading this thread is killing me knowing I can't fish the salt. 

Saw a ton of birds circling waters in Greater Portland this morning but nothing diving nor water boiling.  Seemed like the water may have just started to simmer as I was passing by.  I never like to cut my trips short back home but may have to do so in order to get an hour or two fishing in Sunday night.