Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
RedGrayGhost

SUP Fishing

I told myself that when I bought a house, the boat was soon to follow. What they don't tell you (except they do and I don't listen) is that buying a house means no money for a boat. So knowing that, time to look at this a different way.

I looked at Kayaks, and I hate sitting down while fishing, I can't tow anything (company vehicle with lots of rules), and I've been wanting a SUP just for cruising anyway. After a little research, I found that there are 'hybrid' style SUPs that are stable for fishing, cruise nicely and even can surf if desperate.  Having the ability to mount a cooler as a seat, and spots to mount gear so that I'm not putting my rod on the deck or dropping my paddle in the water... all sounds too good to be true.

BOTE Boards - I've been looking at these things, a bit pricey but I can't find a single bad review.. I also can't find many good reviews.

Has anyone heard of these boards? Tried fishing from a paddle board? Any experience or feedback is greatly appreciated. I wish I could just demo it for a morning, it's a big expense just to take a chance.

It wouldn't be a bote board but there is a place on the causeway in Naples that will let you demo some sup's perhaps they have one close in size, you might get a feel for if it would work for you.

The surfer in me hates SUPs through and through so maybe I'm a little biased.  My opinion is that SUPs are great for hopping from place to place, but terrible to fish from. All the same drawbacks as a kayak plus slower.  If you do go that route the Bote ones are the way to go though.

I foresee it being posted in the classifieds by fall... slow, unstable, and not for fishing. Try a kayak and a 10’ rod maybe?

18 minutes ago, clousah said:

Check out Peter Laurelli's videos. He gets it done on an SUP. 

Totally agree he’s been doing it for years now. I won’t lie I want one. Imagine fishing the flats at high tide with one. I think it would be great. If you want to try out a SUP Shaw park in Gorham rents them out on the presumpscott. If I came from a surfing background I might think differently but they are pretty stable and a lot easier to cast from then a kayak or canoe or float tube. Average around 50 lbs so not bad to carry. I can tell you if I get one you won’t see it in the classifieds 

Yea I wont bother out of a kayak, can't stand fishing sitting down. I got my wife a basic SUP for her birthday so maybe I'll try fishing from that once or twice before investing in a BOTE. I already love paddle boarding leisurely so it wont end up in the classifieds, just a matter of whether or not I spend $1500-2000 on a niche board. Being up that high and sight fishing the flats sounds perfect, but I believe it's a pain to manage gear and cast. Not a lot of people out there have tried it though, so it's hard to find experienced opinions..

As far as going from spot to spot on one, I don't dare wear waders on a paddleboard. Sounds like a death sentence :wacko: Maybe I'd need to wear a wetsuit with a jacket or something?

I would look into one of those really sturdy kayaks where you can stand up, potentially one with outriggers. I get what you’re saying about sitting down,  but a SUP seems to just be a “do it to say you did it”. There are better tools for this job. 

I fish off a paddle board. BOTE are good boards. I surfed my whole life so I had the skill to begin with. It's a fun novel way to fish but unless you love paddle boarding I wouldn't do it. Don't worry James I don't surf a paddle board and only paddle in flat water with it. My buddy has the full BOTE set up with the back brace etc. He likes it. Definitely need to learn to use the board before you even attempt to fish. I haven't fallen of my board for about a 3 years but I did many times when starting. Also you might think that sitting on a cooler is more stable on the board but the truth is it isn't. When your sitting you can't shift your weight to stabilize the board and over you go. Took me some time to figure that out. The wind is another issue you need to use it in your favor. I paddled the whole of Richardson Lake from south arm to upper dam. You can see how I rigged my camping gear on the board. 

IMG_1637.thumb.JPG.90520b88c9015a331fca6b56f1f12a03.JPG

That lake can get pretty dam choppy. Must of been a pretty long paddle