Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Bigspencer

A Quick Visit to the EO

Got out and took some casts with one of Sage's highly-marketed rods on the EO Wednesday evening, after supper and before the scheduled fireworks.   Timed it just right as the sun was leaving the water.....but I took my time as a line's flash caught by a sunset can be picked up, believe it or not, by any larger fish.   Just fished downstream of the bridge and then drove down a bit..where there were a few more pockets easily reacheable from shore.  Ended up catching and releasing a bunch of 8-10 inchers and one that went 13".   Sorry to all that would've enjoyed some pics(including myself!)...I somehow managed to leave my sd_card at home somewhere underneath my piles of papers on the workdesk.    Anyways, all brookies looked in good shape.  A little decreased energy in their fight but that's to be expected in summer in a stream.   The rod(486-4 X) is on the softer side...which if you like...you might really like it, if affordable, but it didn't really excite my medium-fast+ enjoyment...think the rod might make a big difference to the lazy caster who wants the rod to do everything for them:D ...I would've been okay with a crisp, much more innexpensive rod....however the trout's willingness to grab a dragless terrestrial sure was enjoyable in the evening.   Felt a bit like the old days of the 60s.   What was nice was the efficiency of the lighter/larger_arbor reel picking up any slack line...puts my old, modded Martin reel to shame:D.   However I knew that in leaving behind my waders during my hasty departure from Bangor's heat & humidity I was condemming myself to the air temps.  I don't think I'll do that again....

Is the rod the sage x series? If so I thought it took the place of the sage one which was a fast action rod?

I've done that with my sd card before, left it in my laptop once or twice not realizing it until out on the water.  Better luck next time :lol:

On 7/6/2018 at 5:22 PM, theflyguy said:

Is the rod the sage x series? If so I thought it took the place of the sage one which was a fast action rod?

Yes I think so but maybe just a slight change in direction for rod flex..y/n?   Definitely a softer tip and not as stiff in the butt but plenty of rebound-flex.   Just a different flex....thickness of walls...y/n?

Randall...I think I need to take a look at a GoPro....see how it operates...with less human operation maybe....y/n?  or at least some camera strapped to my chest, ready to go...

The newer go pros I believe are voice activated. I have a older hero 2 or 3 and a “chesty” mount 

12 hours ago, Bigspencer said:

Yes....definitely a softer tip and not as stiff in the butt but plenty of rebound-flex.  Seems like it's an entirely different strain of graphite, with a different flex pattern....that's the way it feels/felt....or that's the only way I can describe it.

Randall...I think I need to take a look at a GoPro....see how it operates...with less human operation maybe....y/n?  or at least some camera strapped to my chest, ready to go...

GoPro's are nice, especially for video and convenience overall, but just for picture quality I think Olympus (tough) cameras are the way to go.  (I use a cheap Fuji).  Depends on your preference obviously.