Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
ebud

Butt

What Brand of Butt material and #  do you like for fresh water use.

I usually like to go with the most supple....helps maintain loop size and thus...distance(but beats me...could've been the Ol' Wives Tail), sections go something like .025, .023, 021, .019, .017(and so on), just start by staying close, in flex, to the end of your line...to keep the loop flow uninterrupted but the taper continuous.

Umpqua seems to fit the bill for me..but whatda I know as far as absolutes = ie....there are plenty of leader material brands...RIO,, Maxima, ORVIS...etc.  

# - Depends on your line weight. Your butt needs to be able to turn your line over. Brand doesn't matter all that much as long as there is continuity (no hinging). It's better to oversize than under-size.

Butt, Butt’s and Butt’s

For clarity I fish 4 wt, 5wt 6 wt, rods for fresh water fishing in New England.

I need a butt material for the range of lines I fish?

Also, brands of material have different characteristics like supple, semi stiff and stiff.

Im just trying to narrow down a butt selection to a good brand, type and thickness # suitable for the gear I use. I know what I want the butt to do, I just need to know what to buy!

When I usually buy a new fly line I have the shop put a butt on it, I never ask what butt material brand and size was used. After several seasons of use I find my fly line can use a new butt.

I do appreciate any and all replies!

2 hours ago, Stick said:

# - Depends on your line weight. Your butt needs to be able to turn your line over. Brand doesn't matter all that much as long as there is continuity (no hinging). It's better to oversize than under-size.

correction

I meant to say turn your "leader" over

Try this: 

maxima

Maxima-10lb-Chameleon-100M-Line.jpg

2/3 the diameter of the fly line. do the math

I stopped using butts, I make a small loop out of the very end of my fly line, whip finish it nice and tight then super glue the whip.

• Like 1

I was thinking something different I think when you said butt. I call my butt section the first section of my leader. For the line to make a loop connection if I were to use mono I would use 25 lb give or take. I personally weld a loop on my line if there isn’t one but generally most lines I buy already have a loop.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT!

Rio has recently came out with a BUTT line in large spools.

Three different sizes are available.

One size covers 4-5-6 weights.

RAY

Ray I'll do the math for you. 

#5 line and above .021

#4 line and below .019

Ray, For my trout lines I like to attach the leaders I'll be using directly to the fly line with a nail or needle nail knot. When I need to change leaders I cut the old leader off leaving about 10" of its butt attached to the fly line. Then I just put a loop in the butt or I just blood knot the new leader to it. I prefer the blood knot. I like the leader butt to be very close to the same stiffness as the fly line. 

jim 

• Like 2

Cutthroat braided leaders. Check on the internet.

Ron

On 7/10/2018 at 8:38 AM, ebud said:

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT!

Rio has recently came out with a BUTT line in large spools.

Three different sizes are available.

One size covers 4-5-6 weights.

RAY

ebud... Of course there are different kinds of butts....braided.....and there used to be flat-butt leaders made(by a company whose brand I have forgotten).  There are the furled leaders(of which I know zip about)...etc.  Marketers are constantly striving to encourage anglers to try ( = BUY)..More and More stuff..it never ends.

Igloo Lake has made it easy....