Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
peasy207

New york

The Esopus isn't to far from there.  Also check out the Kinderhook.  Never fished either but I have a buddy from the Albany area who talks highly of those two.

A lot of the smaller Catskills streams will have warmed up by now, both the east and west branches of the Delaware have bottom release dams and should be a hours drive or so away, pity it's the weekend it's will probably be elbow to elbow. The Batavia kill runs right through Windham if you need to stay close, I only have a passing knowledge of the area, my father lived in owego for several years so I fished a bit, in the Catskills but not enough to really know it. If it's to hot to fish there's a fly fishing museum around there that I enjoyed. The Hudson is an hour I think and has great bass fishing which might be more reliable this time of year.

I don't think Schoharie Creek ever had the trout population of the Delaware system and it sustained a major flood in the 90s...I used to fish it once in a while in the 70s and 80s so I really have NO idea what it did to its hatches or terrestrial life(lotsa help eh':D)  It did have mostly all native browns.  Several sections to it...and several(I think I remember..;-)) reservoirs...below the northernmost one might be the tailwater to visit...or really ANY stretch with decent water temps....DEFINITELY don't forget the water thermometer!  Sorry I've forgotten the reservoir names(lived upstate, NE of Albany/Troy).  I just looked at the online map the other night...

12 hours ago, ossipee said:

A lot of the smaller Catskills streams will have warmed up by now, both the east and west branches of the Delaware have bottom release dams and should be a hours drive or so away, pity it's the weekend it's will probably be elbow to elbow. The Batavia kill runs right through Windham if you need to stay close, I only have a passing knowledge of the area, my father lived in owego for several years so I fished a bit, in the Catskills but not enough to really know it. If it's to hot to fish there's a fly fishing museum around there that I enjoyed. The Hudson is an hour I think and has great bass fishing which might be more reliable this time of year.

thanks, I was eyeing the batavia, but from what i saw it looked small and I'm going to assume the temps are up by now.... might have to take a ride to find some bigger water if I have time.

10 hours ago, Bigspencer said:

I don't think Schoharie Creek ever had the trout population of the Delaware system and it sustained a major flood in the 90s...I used to fish it once in a while in the 70s and 80s so I really have NO idea what it did to its hatches or terrestrial life(lotsa help eh':D)  It did have mostly all native browns.  Several sections to it...and several(I think I remember..;-)) reservoirs...below the northernmost one might be the tailwater to visit...or really ANY stretch with decent water temps....DEFINITELY don't forget the water thermometer!  Sorry I've forgotten the reservoir names(lived upstate, NE of Albany/Troy).  I just looked at the online map the other night...

thanks, I'll have to go check it out when i get out there. I've been looking at some map, I'll find something to check out.

It's a bit of a drive...when you get a map to look at compare the drives between that Batavia Kill, any branch of the Delaware*(top choice...as ossipee mentioned) and Schoharie Creek.

Above all else...have fun down in the Catskills...beautiful area.  You're close to Hunter Mtn....which has gotten significant amounts of powder(snow) during the last few winters....don't know if you or anyone in the family skis at all...but it's a legitimate mountain.

5 hours ago, Bigspencer said:

It's a bit of a drive...when you get a map to look at compare the drives between that Batavia Kill, any branch of the Delaware*(top choice...as ossipee mentioned) and Schoharie Creek.

Above all else...have fun down in the Catskills...beautiful area.  You're close to Hunter Mtn....which has gotten significant amounts of powder(snow) during the last few winters....don't know if you or anyone in the family skis at all...but it's a legitimate mountain.

Will do, headed out for a bach party and a long weekend so it will be a good time either way. not a skier but some of the guys going do I think. 

All the freestones that I'm aware of in the Catskills are way overheated and low.  The upper 5 or 6 miles of the upper East Branch Delaware is temperature stable but at the normal low summer release...still fishable.  The West Branch Delaware has more of a release and temps range from mid 40's to mid 60's depending on location.  My suggestion is the upper 10 miles.  The Delaware Main stem is too warm.  Don't have any first hand knowledge of the Esopus or Schoharie.