Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Mainiac

I couldn't catch...................

........ the clap in a Skankford whorehouse with a half gallon of Allens coffee brandy and a gallon of whole milk !  Man am I in a slump. Nothin' but four or five rats in the last five outings. This only fishing one or two days a week sucks. I'm all out of sync with the natural flow of things and have to guess at where to go. 

Wonder how the golfing is ..................

Temp drop threw things off buddy, don't sweat it!  Plus we are into full on cyclical pogie feeds,  the bass can only eat so much before they need a break.  Hope you get better luck next time 

Golf... the wasteful use of a perfect shooting range. Then again, The last time I played with a golf ball was making one dance down range with a .22 lol. 

Hope your the best of luck getting out of your slump, I know what you mean about not getting out enough and not getting into any decent fish. Since I haven’t been hitting the saltwater, I’m looking forward to fall. 

I finally got out saturday again, skunked again, hit two spots and did see some what I assume were pogies busting.

Hey James, you brought up an interesting point on the pogies. Have you actually seen any fish feeding on the pogies? I've fished around the schools 3 or 4 times over the last week and they have been completely unmolested. Just curious if you're seeing something different further south. 

Was paddle boarding yesterday afternoon, and saw what I believe was a school of Pogies (4-5 in. fish, about 100 of them in a school) with stripers swarming them. Didn't have my rod, but there was a spin fisherman who got skunked 100 yards away.

Probably not pogies...the pogies around I have seen are 12-14 inches in schools by the thousands.

New meadows has the piggies, but nothing for stripers or blues. Cast into schools all the weekend and no sign of anything eating them but the seals and porpoises. Glad I am not alone. 

Yep, I've only seen seals and whales on the pogies around here. Fingers crossed SOMETHING else will start chasing them in Casco Bay but they never did last year

I was out with another member saterday morning fishing the beach in between Saco and Scarborough and saw schools that definitely had fish on them. But besides the few clumped up schools getting hit there where pogies breaking surface as far as the eye could see. They were just out of reach literally got one dink. The way the clumped up schools were making wakes and coming out of the water make me believe it was fish on them no seals in sight. Fishing is gonna be in a bit of a lul like James said with all the pogies around.

As for the smaller fish maybe Brit hearing or alewives maybe?

3 hours ago, Tim D said:

Hey James, you brought up an interesting point on the pogies. Have you actually seen any fish feeding on the pogies? I've fished around the schools 3 or 4 times over the last week and they have been completely unmolested. Just curious if you're seeing something different further south. 

Yes and no on the active feeds.  And I've been all over lately running my full range from Cape Elizabeth to Kittery.  I'm not divulging any of the details of my pogie strategy cause it's not fair to the folks who pay me for that stuff.  But I will say if you're near pogies you're most likely near big fish regardless of what your seeing.  Getting near big fish is at least a third of the battle, just got to line up the rest of it.