Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
theflyguy

Hooked a big one

Well had some time this afternoon to get out and hooked quite a big specimen about 73inches and 220 lbs

BA489F6E-0D50-4B49-B149-3D6FA02FA1CE.thumb.jpeg.942539ed69e1400d4d2ca2a506783d5a.jpegME lol. Bit blurry but that’s a good size clouser in the back of my right bicep. Was in past the barb so I had to pleasantly push the hook point through my skin again to access the barb. Once I realized I didn’t have any good way to pinch the barb I called a friend. Luckily Brosa only lives a few miles from where I was and so I drove to his house and had him pinch the barb down then it slid right out. Hey atleast I didn’t get skunked......

Ouch!!  Glad it ended without any major issues for you.  My brother stuck his leg bad last year and it required several hours in the hospital!

Yeah was just in the skin no muscle so wasn’t to painful 

52 minutes ago, theflyguy said:

Yeah was just in the skin no muscle so wasn’t to painful 

Your story and photo gave me goosebumps as I read it. 

Martha caught an uncommon fish a week ago  -- got a sturgeon in shallow water. She, Alan, and I had several of them around us one morning.

You were probably where I was when this happened. How big was the one she got? 3ft or so? Had a bunch cruising today too. Actually I am sure them strurgeon where laughing at me like you dumb s.o.b how do you like it. Lol. I was lucky could of been much worse. I can tell you nailing you thumb to your middle finger hurts more with a nail gun ( lol sadly being a dumb 18 year old new to construction at the time). To be honest doesn’t feels like it never happened  now pain wise

12 hours ago, theflyguy said:

You were probably where I was when this happened. How big was the one she got? 3ft or so? Had a bunch cruising today too. Actually I am sure them strurgeon where laughing at me like you dumb s.o.b how do you like it. Lol. I was lucky could of been much worse. I can tell you nailing you thumb to your middle finger hurts more with a nail gun ( lol sadly being a dumb 18 year old new to construction at the time). To be honest doesn’t feels like it never happened  now pain wise

Her sturgeon was about 3 feet long. The ones that were swimming around our feet were the same size. It was quite a sight to see as I had never seen that before. Alan said he sees them often.

Glad to hear you recovered.  Bringing back some recent memories for me!  

My last evening of productive fishing I was using the same fly.  Apparently I missed my stripping basket and my line became tangled in a rock during a back cast.  I saw my clouser approaching at high speed just before it buried deep enough in my left middle finger deep I could see the point on the opposite side.  Fortunately no nerves - fishing was too good, out came the pliers, and so did the clouser with a good yank.  Few squeezes to let the blood flush any contaminants, my stripping guard moved to that finger and pressure applied then back to fishing....  I got two things: darn lucky and had a good reminder of why it's important to always wear glasses.

56 minutes ago, saltyshores said:

Her sturgeon was about 3 feet long. The ones that were swimming around our feet were the same size. It was quite a sight to see as I had never seen that before. Alan said he sees them often.

If you go to that spot it’s more than likely you will see sturgeon I see them up to 6ft or so in there they can really spook you at night when they bump into you. I took a video of them one time to show people how close you can get to these dinosaurs. 

15 minutes ago, caught_the_fever said:

Glad to hear you recovered.  Bringing back some recent memories for me!  

My last evening of productive fishing I was using the same fly.  Apparently I missed my stripping basket and my line became tangled in a rock during a back cast.  I saw my clouser approaching at high speed just before it buried deep enough in my left middle finger deep I could see the point on the opposite side.  Fortunately no nerves - fishing was too good, out came the pliers, and so did the clouser with a good yank.  Few squeezes to let the blood flush any contaminants, my stripping guard moved to that finger and pressure applied then back to fishing....  I got two things: darn lucky and had a good reminder of why it's important to always wear glasses.

I always wear eye protection although I am not sure how good they wood be against a clouser or crab pot at full speed.... especially with a two hand rod. 

9302ACD1-290E-46F4-8CE8-FD4C7EF9DC0B.thumb.jpeg.88b96f629a21b88b164c5de3ca8efa03.jpegI wonder now that it has the scent of blood if it will work better lol.  Still fishable so hopefully I get a good one on it. If I hook my self again with it atleast the barb is mashed down now and should slip out easy

An argument for barbless hooks?  Glad to see all was well in the end.