Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
sipowicz16

“The Weather Is Here-Wish You Were Beautiful”

So Jumbo John and I headed to the Great North Woods of NH for our yearly pilgrimage to Lopstick Lodge.  We both look forward to this yearly vacation and the plethora of Brookies, Browns and ‘Bows that await us in the Connecticut River.   Over the years we’ve seen an increase in the amount of anglers fishing in “the Trophy Stretch” so we’ve adjusted our days a touch to avoid ‘em. We arrived Thursday around noon and it was sweltering.   With the Rover’s thermometer settled at 93 degrees, we decided not to add any stress to the trout/salmon population and used the day as a reason to explore areas & water we had never experienced.  That evening we dined on BBQ ribs, baked beans, corn on the cob and potato salad-with the hum of 2 overworked fans trying to keep Bunk House cool.   We went to bed and were awoken around 04:30 with lightning, thunder, and torrential rain.   The storm moved out and we fished a bit before lunch.  Jumbo John had the luck with a Copper John and brought several trout to hand.  We went back to Bunk House, had lunch, (yup, I grabbed a nap) and changed up to meet our Guide, Bill, for 2:00p.  While I had a long sleeve shirt on, I opted for water shorts and sandals.  Dave is the angler who has every piece of equipment and gear known to man!   He was in wading boots, pants, long sleeve shirt, etc.  Def more appropriate.  We traveled down to Colebrook and were in the drift boat by 3:00p. But that wind was horrendous!   Jumbo John (a career sailor) estimated the winds at 25mph with gusts to 35mph.  We stuck with buggers and sinking lines and we had to work for the fish.   Typical ‘Bows and Browns for the Connecticut.  Not huge but gorgeous nonetheless.  Our Guide, Bill, drifted us several miles down river and we found a productive area when the wind died down and switched to dry/dropper setups.  Several more fish to hand.  The sun had set and we were close to the take out.   By now Dave had his jacket and winter hat on!   Me?   Just my shorts and bare feet!  Admittedly I was ill prepared.   BUT....overall we had a great day and the beautiful fish were the bonus.  Until next time.....

Sip

2EE5E2A6-97C8-4175-88A6-631942EEE052.jpeg

83366522-AEFD-4FD5-856A-1EE2F560386B.jpeg

6A9BECE2-9EE1-4307-A991-5B914861749B.jpeg

97C3DA75-3020-4F47-8D67-D4814D4D4E92.jpeg

Two of my friends and I were at Ramblewood camp ground the last week of June. I had never fished up that far up on the Connecticut before. Lots-O-people on the trophy section. One of my friends landed a nice 15” salmon. We did a bit of exploring and we got a few brookies. I guess we will go back up but there is a place (or two) in Maine I prefer. Most of the people I saw catching fish were bouncing nymphs off the bottom using strike indicators. I need to try/learn that technique. 

15 minutes ago, arrowflinger said:

Two of my friends and I were at Ramblewood camp ground the last week of June. I had never fished up that far up on the Connecticut before. Lots-O-people on the trophy section. One of my friends landed a nice 15” salmon. We did a bit of exploring and we got a few brookies. I guess we will go back up but there is a place (or two) in Maine I prefer. Most of the people I saw catching fish were bouncing nymphs off the bottom using strike indicators. I need to try/learn that technique. 

Def a valuable technique!

Over the years when talking about fishing trips etc. my father occasionally tell of a trip he went on with his brother and father. The trip was to fish the first Connecticut Lake. For whatever reason they didn’t/couldn’t fish it. They ended up fishing Round pond. They caught some rainbows. That trip was over 70 years ago. While I was in the area we drove up to the pond. I didn’t fish it but may give it a try in the future. My friends took a picture of me with the pond in the background. I sent the photo to my father. He said it looked like he remembers it except for the camp in the background. I can’t image what that area was like that long ago. I’m guessing the fishing was pretty darn good with a lot fewer people.

12 hours ago, Kevin McKay said:

Dave has learned from experience ;)

It's the best teacher there is....freeze yer butt off once and you'll never do it again.

Steve's a tough dude - made me cold just looking at him.  I think it amused our guide, though...

• Haha 1