Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Tim D

Pogie Harvesting

Not a fly fishing question but this is by far the best resource I know of to get questions answered. I was told you need to have a commercial fishing license in order to throw a cast net for pogies. Does anyone know 1) Is that true and 2) where I would go to find that license? 

I looked all over the Maine.gov site and couldn't find any info.

Thanks

Tim

I think in MA you can net bait, and the size of the net varies by state.  

The lobstermen in Harpsell were putting out nets this weekend.  I don't begrudge them an easy days work, but I'm not sure what recreational fisherman would ever need a net full.  

Thanks!

Shark chum Tim!

Shark bait ooh ha ha!

sorry just had to. Good luck with your shark fishing, just don’t do a jaws re-enactment  

I was recently watching videos of guys kayak fishing...offshore... for sharks... that seems like quite the ride but no way would I attempt such a thing. 

Goin' after them great whites Timmy ?

Hell no! Just some blue dogs. 

The easiest way to do it is just find a school and use a snagging hook. The limit is 25/person, which you can get in 25 attempts... have a few people on the boat and you can get all the chum you want in no time without the hassle (log books, etc.)/expense of a commercial license and gear. Especially if you do it over a couple days.

If you snag, my kids will come real them in for you... a snagged pogie fought better than a schoolie :)