Maine Fly Fish
ossipee

Leader to fly knots

I had been using the Davy knot for years, so simple to tie, I now use the improved clinch knot takes a bit longer to tie but is purported to be much stronger. What are you guys using, I need reader's now so simple is better.

Most of the time I’m using an improved cinch knot as well. The only other knot I’ll use to the fly/lure is a palomar, but usually reserved for a drop shot type setup or if I want the knot to stay on a certain part of the hook eye like on a jig.  

Orvis knot. Almost as easy as the Davy knot, but much more dependable.   Been using it for 10+ years now. Used to use the improved clinch know, then tried several before settling on the Orvis knot. Just an FYI, Orvis did not invent the Orvis knot. They sponsored the contest in which Larry Becker submitted the knot. 

If I was to hunt for the official name on the Web I'd have to make some guesses...I have to admit I've forgotten its name..a lonnng time back.  After going thru the eye of fly..one winds tippet around a loop ~3x:blink:, then on the 3rdx come back thru the original loop:wacko:....after wetting and tightening...one slips loop over the fly to tighten around the eye.  Have stuck with it cuz after a season(decades ago) of using it...no thought needed to do & can do in the dark by feel.   Probably not as strong as the clinch...but hasn't failed on me as far back as my memory goes.....fwiw.

image.png.229c74a697b8450ddf5656165e6b2b0c.png

• Like 1

Used only the improved clinch since I started fly fishing  40 years ago. Still works great !

I have not even bothered to go to the next level on the clinch ..just a simple clinch knot ..since I was probably 10 :-)

For the past 25 or so years I've been using a knot developed in the 19th century by a Major Turle. Very strong knot and easy to tie. 

Turle knot..JPG

Back several years ago I discovered the Orvis knot. It was quick and seemed to be strong.

Last year I was having knots and or leaders break when I did’t the should. I chucked all my leader material and after talking to a smart fishing guide i’ve gone to the  improved clinch knot. 

With monofilament I use a Davy knot.

It doesn't work at all with fluorocarbon so I use something else, either a double Davy or improved clinch.

Yeah dryflie, I thought Turle was the name of it.....same knot...thanks for posting...FwiW;-)

3 minutes ago, Bigspencer said:

Yeah dryflie, I thought Turle was the name of it.....same knot...thanks for posting...FwiW;-)

I've seen several tests where it proves stronger than the Clinch.

20 hours ago, dryflie said:

Try that in the dark. 

:lol:

21 hours ago, dryflie said:

Try that in the dark. 

One of the reasons I like the Davy. I can tie it in the dark or using my forceps.

On 8/10/2018 at 10:05 AM, dryflie said:

Try that in the dark. 

That image makes it look way more complicated than it is haha. 

Correct me if im wrong but it’s a non-slip mono loop with passing the tag end back through an extra time? 

Ive always just used the Non-Slip mono for streamers, hasn’t failed me yet...not a worrysome number of times anyway. 

On 8/10/2018 at 9:29 AM, cdc said:

I have not even bothered to go to the next level on the clinch ..just a simple clinch knot ..since I was probably 10 :-)

Me, too. Worked well for me. Knot held for  26 Atlantic salmon years ago when we could fish them.

• Like 1

Me Too! Just recently I went back to a simple clinch as I was having problems with a "pig tail" the last inch with the improved, no mater how much spit I put on it! If I want a loop it is the uniknot. Just a note that I missed a lot of salmon on the Miramichi using a loop knot. I had 2 bad years in the 90"s before I figured that out. Just saying!         Pete

On 8/13/2018 at 7:29 AM, brosa1450 said:

Correct me if im wrong but it’s a non-slip mono loop with passing the tag end back through an extra time? 

Ive always just used the Non-Slip mono for streamers, hasn’t failed me yet...not a worrysome number of times anyway. 

Yes, very close, but less bulk.  I love the non-slip mono loop knot as well....it really takes the cake for almost everything- has a lot going for it.

Just the clinch. Improved actually isn't - science supports that. Also non-slip loop when using streamers or nymphs - more natural action.

6 hours ago, LaBonte207 said:

Not all fly fishing related, but still. 

Well, hang on LaBonte207....I'll give that J-Knot a try...and will see how easy it is to pull most of the "other" side's length through as one tightens..?.  If it turns out to be easy you might have me switching over from the blood knot(leader section to leader section).

• Like 1