Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Kevin McKay

Good for him

Wow, interesting read. If I already had the record I think I’d do the same. Take some pics, measurements, maybe weight and send her back. I would let it be known that I caught and released a bigger one just like he did, but not tell anyone where :P  I’ve had the though of going “trophy hunting” for panfish, but that yellow perch record keeps getting broken like every year or two lately :wacko:  I just have to try for a 2 pounder somewhere in Maine :lol: 

on that note, is there an official form of some sort that I haven’t found? Or do I really just call a warden and have it weighed in front of them? Too bad there’s no catch and release class in our state records. 

• Like 2

Had this very conversation on a recent fishing trip and my answer is yes.   A fish was caught that could have potentially rivaled current state record.  I netted it and the guy who caught it asked about whether to release it.  A creature having lived that long, enduring who knows how many fights to attain that size, in my opinion is something to be admired and released to live another day.  My friend who landed it concurred and it swam away for another fight. 

I don’t think it’s wrong to take a mature fish like that at all or let it go. A large fish eats and kills more fish than anyone of us ever will in a season. Those large fish need meat and can eat a fish a third of their length. I also think it’s great to let the big big big ones go and spread their genetics as long as possible into the local water body.