Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
caught_the_fever

Different waters

As a child, I was primarily exposed to fishing ponds and lakes.  After leaving the State for college / work, I had set aside my fishing hobby and picked up a few others.  Some years ago I seized an opportunity to return to Maine and eventually rekindled my passion for angling.  I've primarily stuck to the lakes/ponds as it's what I've known and around which my knowledge base was built.  However, after catching the fly fishing bug the past several years, I've been trying to branch out. 

Finally hit some smaller water recently with the 4 weight with a friend.  Landed several nice little brookies similar to those pictured.  Serving up size 12 or 14 brown elk hair caddis triggered impressive strikes.  I can see how this style of fishing could be addicting and am looking forward to continuing to expand my angling experiences / knowledge.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Nothing like a small stream, good company, and willing brookies. WAY TO GO!!!!!

Ron

4 hours ago, caught_the_fever said:

Serving up size 12 or 14 brown elk hair caddis triggered impressive strikes.  I can see how this style of fishing could be addicting and am looking forward to continuing to expand my angling experiences / knowledge.

I caught the dry fly bug a few years ago and haven't looked back.  I almost exclusively fish dry flies now (for trout) june through september.  Way to go on those brook trout.

Exploring new waters with a friend is what’s it’s all about. Nice brookies, I love action with the 3 and 4wts. 

Thanks guys.  I've always enjoyed topwater season for smallmouths.  The dry fly game seems like a natural extension of that.

Had been a bit hesitant getting into flowing water between habitat, approach, mending line, etc.  Then couple that with varying techniques of droppers, nymphs, indicators, seemed overwhelming.  Seems like most things, I guess the key is keeping it simple at first and expanding as we learn.   Appreciate the knowledge shared on the boards by those with experience, it's helped me get to this point.

Mike