Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Sflagg91

A weekend on a remote pond in Northern New Hampshire

Plenty of willing fish this weekend, nothing huge but what they lacked in length they made up for in girth. Didn't see another soul on the water the whole time except for beaver, muskrat and brookies. Heard a moose calling just on the other side of the trees, that was cool. I was hoping it would come out but didn't. Surface action was great in the evenings, rest of the time buggers around any structure did the trick. Probably ended up with somewhere between 20 - 30 fish.

1000904643_0928181802_HDR2.thumb.jpg.3aa558633d2b759db3dc86e2fc7c8879.jpg1939710584_09281817202.thumb.jpg.4e889ae26632e374d9f3a21e9721d367.jpg820679718_0929180747a2.thumb.jpg.9fad9e1efc75ba74855ae1f9d5fab71e.jpg366681833_0929180829a2.thumb.jpg.b63696ae33b64098650516f7f7a1c270.jpg1730235162_09291809282.thumb.jpg.36c5a4b35064d507d6f4e4bf5d98ecb5.jpg881798259_09291815482.thumb.jpg.4d883d14858ac88effff7cdf7ae32479.jpg1519328882_09291816262.thumb.jpg.c27db16c1d74be5de6dea52dfbe0cdfe.jpgIMG_20180929_194722_214.thumb.jpg.262edf8d9d81ddff9c6744e97e22fb80.jpg1467614321_0930180956a2.thumb.jpg.0cf46ce9dbba5b1fdd5af67704e21c9a.jpgIMG_20180930_162239_125.thumb.jpg.5cf3f6cefb977d6d4ec8b049e6fd82f9.jpgIMG_20180930_162239_115.thumb.jpg.5501b91af7fe10068102abb532f3b12d.jpg720798077_0930180751a2.thumb.jpg.40412e64e263a5a0f4f3d92d9c91ffe1.jpg48048521_09301807552.thumb.jpg.eed0b6175e59d02e2c6287998a340d2b.jpg

Nice TR & pics Sflagg91....very nice to get sunshine at end of season...

Very nice fish! I love the variation in their colors. Thank your for sharing.

Beautiful pics - looks like a great trip.    If this post doesn't fire folks up to squeeze in one or two more trips, I'm not sure what will.

2 hours ago, caught_the_fever said:

Beautiful pics - looks like a great trip.    If this post doesn't fire folks up to squeeze in one or two more trips, I'm not sure what will.

Plenty of time left - I'll be out until freeze up!

1 hour ago, Sflagg91 said:

Just because most of the flowing waters are off limits doesn’t mean you can’t get out still. I’ll be casting and trolling right till ice up, then it’s time to start punching holes and jig for me!

3 hours ago, Seamonkey84 said:

Just because most of the flowing waters are off limits doesn’t mean you can’t get out still. I’ll be casting and trolling right till ice up, then it’s time to start punching holes and jig for me!

Yup! I got into ice fishing for trout last winter, nothing like watching a big rainbow swim into the hole to eat salmon eggs!

Sight fishing through the ice is a whole different excitement! I’ve only caught a handful of bows through the ice, mostly brookies. When a school of brookies move through, there’s times I couldn’t get the fish unhooked and get back down fast enough. I’ve had my underwater camera down and they would attack it!  I’ve yet to use eggs under the ice, though I’ve heard it works. I mostly jig, but will set some traps with crawlers for trout, I find that worms work better than shiners for most trout. 

23 hours ago, Sflagg91 said:

I hear you, more a matter of trying to make time available for fishing for me.  Between work and addressing needs for the expanded family, recreational time is a bit more of a precious commodity these days (no complaints as I wouldn't change having our son, just the way it is now).  

I'd love to make a few casts when I'm up in Bangor this weekend.  Anyone have any suggestions for waters to hit close to town if I can muster a couple of hours - could likely borrow one of my parents' kayaks so not restricted to shore.  Don't want to steal anyone's honey hole, just squeeze in a little fishing.  Though I grew up there (25+ years ago), I was more into sports than fishing at that time and when we fished it was primarily at my grandparents' camp in the Belgrades. 

2 hours ago, caught_the_fever said:

I hear you, more a matter of trying to make time available for fishing for me.  Between work and addressing needs for the expanded family, recreational time is a bit more of a precious commodity these days (no complaints as I wouldn't change having our son, just the way it is now).  

I'd love to make a few casts when I'm up in Bangor this weekend.  Anyone have any suggestions for waters to hit close to town if I can muster a couple of hours - could likely borrow one of my parents' kayaks so not restricted to shore.  Don't want to steal anyone's honey hole, just squeeze in a little fishing.  Though I grew up there (25+ years ago), I was more into sports than fishing at that time and when we fished it was primarily at my grandparents' camp in the Belgrades. 

Ah, the Belgrades.

That's were I learned to fish and am sure where I caught my first fish. That is where I fell in love with smallmouth on the fly. My family has always had a camp on Great Pond, my grandmother grew up there - in fact Fosters Point is named after her family. My wife's family has a camp on Long Pond as well, that was just a big coincidence. We were married at the Village Inn up there too.

20 hours ago, Sflagg91 said:

Ah, the Belgrades.

That's were I learned to fish and am sure where I caught my first fish. That is where I fell in love with smallmouth on the fly. My family has always had a camp on Great Pond, my grandmother grew up there - in fact Fosters Point is named after her family. My wife's family has a camp on Long Pond as well, that was just a big coincidence. We were married at the Village Inn up there too.

Well, we both learned on the same waters and can appreciate the fight of a Great Pond smallie.  The camp is in Pinkham's cove, technically still in the family but long story.   In the early 1900's, my great-grandfather traded a house lot in Waterville for a significant stretch of property down that cove.   Had been family and friends for years but changes have come as most decided to sell given what the properties were commanding.  

I recall growing up with my grandfather being the one who maintained the access road, a significant one, spreading gravel and fixing culverts.  He said anyone could enjoy the camp, would only ask for an hour of labor in exchange.  Interesting to see gates and speed limit signs on that road now from that perspective.    

Anyhow, a beautiful area which will always hold special meaning to me. 

5 hours ago, caught_the_fever said:

Well, we both learned on the same waters and can appreciate the fight of a Great Pond smallie.  The camp is in Pinkham's cove, technically still in the family but long story.   In the early 1900's, my great-grandfather traded a house lot in Waterville for a significant stretch of property down that cove.   Had been family and friends for years but changes have come as most decided to sell given what the properties were commanding.  

I recall growing up with my grandfather being the one who maintained the access road, a significant one, spreading gravel and fixing culverts.  He said anyone could enjoy the camp, would only ask for an hour of labor in exchange.  Interesting to see gates and speed limit signs on that road now from that perspective.    

Anyhow, a beautiful area which will always hold special meaning to me. 

Hold on... Pinkhams cove. That's where Fosters Point is. What a small world! I'd love to get together with you some time for some smallmouth fishing!

18 hours ago, Sflagg91 said:

Hold on... Pinkhams cove. That's where Fosters Point is. What a small world! I'd love to get together with you some time for some smallmouth fishing!

Oddly, I don't recall hearing it called Foster's Point.  I just appreciated the view of it and the island from the camp.  That's an offer that would be tough to pass up!   I've never fished Great Pond with a fly rod; would love to put a bend in one on those waters. 

Through my work, I have a number of contacts with a freight broker based mid-state.  I had been casually chatting with one of the ladies there and it turns out her family also has a camp within Pinkham's.   Believe her father was a warden or worked for IF&W.  She must be in close proximity to your camp as she was opposite the cove from ours. 

Small world indeed. 

On 10/3/2018 at 2:15 PM, caught_the_fever said:

Hmmm, even though I live in Bangor I've never fished around here either:D, never did.   Summers in the 60s were home-based in Guilford.

On 10/14/2018 at 8:50 PM, Bigspencer said:

Hmmm, even though I live in Bangor I've never fished around here either:D, never did.   Summers in the 60s were home-based in Guilford.

I hear you - as could likely be sensed from the inquiry, I wasn't looking for a trophy to mount on my wall nor the solitude of a quiet mountain stream.  Really just looking for convenience if I had an hour or two so that I could feel the breeze on my face, a line shooting through my fingers and watch a dry just above the water line with a decent possibility of seeing the line go taut. 

My father and I ended up at a friend's camp on Davis Pond.  Not much happening there as it's a warm water fishery but it was beautiful to be out against the backdrop of fall foliage for a short while.