Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
LaBonte207

Fall truly is beautiful (pic heavy)

Every year, the misses and I go on a fall trip to the Rangeley area for some sight seeing, fishing, hunting, and camping. This trip is one I truly look forward to, for all the magical reason we have come to know and love. Days were mild, ranging from 45-60F, nights were cold, ranging from 33-45F. We enjoy "roughing it" over a comfy cabin, I like to think it keeps me young. Here was our humble abode for the extended weekend: 

P9290018.thumb.JPG.9dacb718305a9ad6354a21e345e654d2.JPG1368255821_Campsite.thumb.JPG.c99c777e83e74d7131db9aa727a3c873.JPG

We stayed at the Cupsuptic Campground in the wilderness sites down green top rd. It's a lovely little patch of woods, full of wild life. If you're into the tent life, I would highly suggest the Cupsuptic campground and the wilderness site, great people and great privacy. One thing I find most pleasant, is collecting, cutting, and organizing firewood. I am not sure why, but there isn't anything quite like seeing a messy bed of sticks turned into neatly stacked wood. Satisfying to say the least:555684552_messywoodJPG.thumb.JPG.2cdfb8ab158ab31d38dc34b7824e05df.JPG1369009933_Stackedwood.thumb.JPG.d96f062e6ecbeb3f3e8da3bc9be5633f.JPG

Day 1: So the first day was filled with setting up, getting cozy, making some good food and enjoying the scenery. I live in Portland, and although I do frequent Maine's wilderness regularly, the city can make any man miss the woods quickly. We checked out height of land and the trees were absolutely beautiful this weekend. I swear, in just 4 short days, the trees changed drastically.

71361566_Heightoflan.thumb.JPG.365c6e0388574552667a3a163c544b86.JPG292127889_Mountainsidelitup.thumb.JPG.4d870a4a863e424036bf78a391f4a189.JPG

These hard wood stands were lit up. Pretty interesting to see them, pockets of hardwoods, I like to imagine that all the deer in the area are tucked into these pockets.

Day 2 was filled with checking out the town and enjoying a trip to the Rangeley fly shop. A great shop, i ended up buying some fly line (can't leave that place without buying something). Although, I would have rather been fishing, need to keep the old lady happy! 

2098390730_Dawnadoublelol.thumb.JPG.43067e9d8d3e16d6389af6abf4c2051a.JPG

Here she is foolin around at the red onion. 

Okay, so enough of the boring stuff, onto the fish!

Day 3 was filled with fishing all day. My buddy made the treck up to accompany myself and the fish. Last year, we did the same thing and didn't see a fisherman all day. This year was a little more crowded, but nonetheless, fish were everywhere and willing to play, so it didn't really matter. Wetflies worked early in the morning, bringing a healthy brook trout to hand

hYZc4_copy.thumb.jpg.1a996490e094f187d5f0cead1eeb9284.jpg

This brookie took a wet fly. Fish were seemingly taking emerging insects, likely midges, and it only made sense, throw a wet fly. A few more fish and the area started to get crowded, so we decided to move down stream where there was surprisingly nobody present. Amazingly, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd casts resulted in some healthy 14-19" salmon. 

2104617594_salmonlayingdown.thumb.jpeg.5a82a920777aeec5c6035d9831cf9f5a.jpeg

Another 4 or 5 fish would be pulled from this pool, including a remarkable brook trout. It wasn't the biggest of the day, but it was the most beautiful. 930222436_Smallerbrookiepretty.thumb.jpeg.ebb8bd6d8b57477e676664f81fc9b817.jpeg1397531156_Brookieskin.thumb.jpeg.5ad790799cd5b76b4fc053276f299ab5.jpeg

Again, all these fish were taken on wet flies swung. The fish, particularly the salmon, were so apt to take a wetlfly, in this location, on several casts, I could see 2 or 3 fish take a swipe or follow the wetly as it was swung through the pool. Pretty amazing stuff. We continued to fish for a while, stopped to go get lunch at the Oquossic Grocery store for some of the most amazing haddock chowder I've ever had. Another incredibly fine establishment.

Fishing continued and the wetfly bite slowed. Nymphing became the staple for the end of the day and a real freak of a brookie came to hand at the end of the day. One of those pigs that you dream of catching. Healthy in weight and very long. I didn't get a length on it, just wanted to make sure it swam away healthy, and it did! 

Big_brookie.thumb.png.40a9bbeb230d588c735c7ae0801827e5.png

yF-uMK.gif.08cbe893e0d85ff6c8a2b0d22f32d853.gif

Extremely long. It took an emerging caddis/stonefly mix I tied up. Looks nothing like any bug i've ever seen, but it worked. Sometimes I imagine these fish have seen so many flies, sometimes you need to throw something you or they have never seen. The day ended and we were both very pleased with the outing. 

Day 4 was opening day of bird hunting, one of my favorites. I had been seeing tons of birds on the road the whole weekend and this day was no exception. I saw a total of 22 birds. The misses just likes pointing them out (she's more of a lover than a killer). We both could have easily limited out. If you're itching to get after some birds, they are out there in big numbers. I limited out by 10AM and we were both very tired and very happy to go enjoy our last day at camp, kicking back and enjoying all that Maine has to offer. 

1525386320_4grousewithgun.thumb.jpeg.3c42220266562173178ee586a91c54a8.jpeg1789308401_4grousewithtails.thumb.jpeg.95d0415bce11983c0d2108160a2b9e93.jpeg

All in all, it was an amazing trip. I'm incredibly thankful to be given the opportunity to enjoy Maine's natural resources. Hopefully, management and conservation efforts alike continue to put Maine's wildlife at the forefront of concern, so generations to come can marvel at Maine's beauty as I do.

GL 

• Like 1

Nice job, great looking fish. I was up north all last week as well, lots of birds about.  First night we woke up to 23 degrees!  

• Like 1

Great report and very nice pictures. The colors on that brookie are impressive!

Fall is truly a wonderful time!

• Like 1

Great report,pictures and fish.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Love the report and the pictures! I think I was at the fly shop when you came in. I was shooting the breeze with the guy working. I was wondering if they had any barbless tungsten bead head jig flies. I lost a ton over on the "M". Sadly they didn't. Looks like you did really good. My buddy and I did pretty good as well. Best ending of a season up there in like 3-4 years.

• Like 1

One heck of a report!   Great scenery and fish.  From your post it sounds like you realize it currently but as the years get behind us those annual trips become more and more special.  Hope you can keep making them happen.  

A few of the guys and I were on a tear hitting different MLB parks each year then a divorce happened, then the economic downturn then another divorce and it just fizzled.  Fortunately, another group has been good about keeping our annual float down the Saco going.  That's a great trip to which we all look forward, but yours looks particularly special.  

Sadly, I have to admit I've never been to this region of the state and your report provided the confirmation that I need to change that, particularly after picking up the fly fishing bug. 

thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

And you also stayed at my favorite campsite (#11).  I've been itching to do this trip the last few years (fish those last two days of September and hunt the first day of Oct).  Thanks for the great pictures.  I'll have to live vicariously through you!

Looks like some seriously successful trip! Great photos. Amazing coloring on one of those brookies!

Beautiful brooktrout LaBonte, especially that beautiful, big bruteB)...ah the water over in the western mountains, on up, has always seemed to produce plenty of food for plenty of brooktrout who want to grow:D...  Have put off on making trips over there for too many years...  The color in all those fish, as well as growth rate in the western mtns...seem to evidence of some slightly alkaline tribs....and I wouldn't doubt it.