Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Weekdayflier

EO Flies

Just curious about people’s experiences at the EO this time of year, in regards to which tactics work well. I went a few years back by myself and kinda had A.D.D. about switching between nymphing and streamers, and had zero bites. I was also kind of intimidated by the size of it, not having fished many big rivers. 

I’m  taking my wife with me this time, so I’d like to at least give her a decent opportunity to catch some and get “hooked” on FF. This is my first real trip since we had our baby 4 mo ago, so hoping to end the season well(cuz let’s be honest I don’t have any time to fish!)

weekday - as a father of an 11 month old, I wish I knew the information to help make this a successful trip as I know how rare these outings can become.  Unfortunately I don't but I hope someone assists you, even if through private message.  

Best of luck on your trip.  Just a thought though:  if you hook your wife on fly-fishing, you'll be competing as to who watches the little one during the prime hatches.  A blessing and a curse until the little one can accompany you on the trips.....

Well depending on your preferences and level of experience there are a number of flies that will work (conditions permitting). Streamers will work, also small caddis dries and emergers and then the regular smaller nymphs. If you don't tie then best to stop at Danny's fly shop in Greenville and pick up the items they suggest.  If you tie then small down wing caddis, BWOs (really small), small ants, Adams, Royal Wulffs, smaller Black Ghosts, Grey Ghosts, Barnes, Nymphs like the PT, Copper Johns, etc. 

Critical on the EO is to find the fish, holding pool and lanes are known to the regulars  so keep your eyes open if you're new to the river. 

• Like 1

I have always done find there on a white sodthackle streamer and olive caddies nymphs. 

• Like 1

The EO was recently lowered from 2200 to 1627cfs. The wading is easier. I have had good success with the Golden Retriever and Griffith’s Gnat (size 14 to 16). It’s worthwhile to fish your way out to a run or  a pool because the fish will hang in shallow water this time of the year. The suggestion of going to the fly shop in Greenville is a good one. Penny or Dan will provide excellent up to date advice on what is working in the river. 

• Like 1

Hey y’all, thanks so much! I’ll make sure to fill my fly boxes, haven’t had much time to tie anything, so looks like a stop at the Fly Shop in town is where I’ll be be! Looking forward to it either way

Thanks again everyone, Saturday was a little slow, I tried swinging a few wet flies and streamers, but no takes until I switched to a Beaded Hares Ear. Lost 2 and landed one with it on(from talking to people everyone had a pretty slow day). 

Only had a few hours to fish Sunday so I tried the wet fly approach again after seeing a few rises, but no luck. As soon as I switched back to the Hares Ear I had a take. Caught 6 brookies in the next hour varying in sizes of 12” - 17”! It was a blast. Tried to get my wife to fish, but she was content watching with my 4 mo old, it was my birthday after all. 

I felt pretty lucky to finally crack that river!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was on the eo on Saturday for a few hours. It was slow but I did have some luck with salmon. Didn't touch a Brook trout. The salmon seemed to love a pink egg with a red dot.