Maine Fly Fish

If you were in a survival situation, what fishing rig would you want to have on hand?

That depends. The survival kits carried by military aircrews are tailored to the place they’re flying over. A size 16 hook may be useful for the boreal forest but won’t do you much good in a lift raft in the middle of the pacific. What’s the environment you’re curious about?

22 hours ago, mesurfer2000 said:

That depends. The survival kits carried by military aircrews are tailored to the place they’re flying over. A size 16 hook may be useful for the boreal forest but won’t do you much good in a lift raft in the middle of the pacific. What’s the environment you’re curious about?

Nowhere in particular. I have one rig that has been successful everywhere I have been ( I once caught a 30" striper from a puddle at the Maine Mall.:P) so, I was wondering if anyone else had one set-up that they can always rely on.

p.s. My go to rig is not a fly rod

13 minutes ago, Stick said:

Nowhere in particular. I have one rig that has been successful everywhere I have been ( I once caught a 30" striper from a puddle at the Maine Mall.:P) so, I was wondering if anyone else had one set-up that they can always rely on.

If I were to depend on it for food, it wouldn’t be a fly rod I can tell you that. For me, a 1/8-1/4oz jig head with a 2.5” gulp minnow in smelt or fire tiger colors. Every species of fish I’ve ever caught has hit that simple combo. I do a steady retrieve while constantly bouncing the tip of the rod, which swims and dances the lure back vs just jigging or reeling it straight back. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Seamonkey84 said:

If I were to depend on it for food, it wouldn’t be a fly rod I can tell you that. For me, a 1/8-1/4oz jig head with a 2.5” gulp minnow in smelt or fire tiger colors. Every species of fish I’ve ever caught has hit that simple combo. I do a steady retrieve while constantly bouncing the tip of the rod, which swims and dances the lure back vs just jigging or reeling it straight back. 

Mine is a 1/32 oz yellow spotted/silver blade Panther Martin.

Would want a pretty heavy line (could use for other purposes if needed) with a decent size hook and an egg sinker.  Heavy line Because if it were my only rig getting caught up on bottom and losing the rig could be a real kick in the pants.  With a egg sinker you could (throw) cast it out if needed at least some distance.  Bait would be whatever I could get my hands on that I didn't feel the need to eat myself.  Would pack up small.  

I would think a bunch of 6-9 foot sections of line with hooks and sinkers that could be set as trotlines would be the way to go. When I was going through survival school, I learned that having things like trotlines and snares that work for you while you do something else is the most efficient way to go. That way you’re gathering food while you’re building shelter, or staying clean, or working on your signal fire. You can always attach one to a cut stick and make it use a float to fish for entertainment. Boredom can be a deadly killer in a survival situation too. 

• Like 1

.30-06 . If its survival I'm moose or deer hunting, at night.;)

• Like 1

A daredevil or similar casting spoon. You can cast it, jig it, troll it, tipp it with a worm. 

As for a fly it would have to be 2 wooly buggers one light one dark and a few 9ft 4x leaders to attach to a stick.