Maine Fly Fish
lachance8443

Help : Veterans fly tying group

Hello everyone,

I have the opportunity to teach a fly tying class for disabled veterans during the wintertime, at a veterans outreach facility in Southern Maine. This class will be for United States Combat Veterans and will most likely be weekly or bi-weekly. I have had the great privelage of benefiting from outreach programs, and this is my opportunity to give back. I have experience teaching class at LL Bean, along with commercial tying, and can supply myself (teaching) and 2 others with tools/vices, and can probably support the class with materials for a while. Based on my experience, I would expect class sizes of 4-12.

If anyone has or would like to donate, old or new, (just working) vices/tools/thread etc to this cause, it would be greatly appreciated. Common materials or hooks for begginer patterns like buggers or bucktails would be put to use as well. 

Ideally I'll put together some kits for people to take home, those who want to take the craft home.

I would like to go buy some beginner kits, but right now I can only afford to donate what I already have. I am more than happy to share my own tools, materials and time. Any donated materials will be strictly for the group and not my personal use.

Sorry, that was long-winded. Any questions? If this sounds like something you'd be interested in donating to, reply or send me a PM. I can leave an address if there is any interest. I've never solicited anything before, so I hope this request comes over with humility and great thanks for your consideration.

Justin

• Thanks 1

I've got some hooks and probably materials I'd like to donate.  Where can I drop or send them?

Thanks for bringing this up. A while back a member here turned me on to his stash, I told him I would find the right avenue to get this into. Your it!! Thanks to Brad Berry. Need your shipping addy, I think you are gonna like the package.

Justin,   As an active volunteer in my local Project Healing Waters group here in Salt Lake City  (I teach a class in rod building over the winter) I applaud your effort. There is no group more deserving than those that have served our country. Project Healing Waters does have some programs running in Maine, contacting them might help with your endeavor.

Kudos to Dryflie.....He donated some books to our group and they are a great help to our tying program.

Ron

Justin, you mention that the class is for "Combat Veterans" - does this mean it is only offered to veterans who were injured in combat, or is it available to all disabled veterans? Just curious about the distinction is all...

Thanks for the replies. Blown away by all of your willingness to help. 

Butch, great question. The class will be held at an outreach center that deals with veterans who have served in a combat zone or have experienced trauma in the military. I wouldnt turn away any vet as far as my teaching the class goes. Google "VA Vet Center" For more info on who the core group would be. I sent you a PM as well.

197 Waterhouse Rd.  

Dayton ME 04005

Justin I live not that far away from you in Alfred. If you need any help with putting this on I am more than willing to help out! Do you have any fly patterns in mind you want to do? If so please let me know and I can pick up some stuff for those patterns. I believe I have some stuff I can donate as well. I'll take a look and will PM you.

Yep, LaChance is my last name. Thanks again for all the replies. McGregor, PM sent.

I do t know any one who will have experience. So I will popbably start  simple, maybe a maple syrup, then build on those skills to a bugger. Bucktails or marabou with are great starters. Th

9 minutes ago, lachance8443 said:

Yep, LaChance is my last name. Thanks again for all the replies. McGregor, PM sent.

I do t know any one who will have experience. So I will popbably start  simple, maybe a maple syrup, then build on those skills to a bugger. Bucktails or marabou with are great starters. Th

First fly I learned to tie, 50 years ago, was a simple Mickey Finn. Super simple. Next was a GHE. 

Putting together a big box of stuff. Wish I had more tools to offer but those are the only items I seem to have very few of. 

Wondering if you have considered approaching fly shops or LL Bean to ask for donations?? Perhaps that's a way to acquire items like  bobbins and scissors. 

Dryflie: Thanks a lot, great assortment to get people going. Haven't been online in a couple days or I would've posted that on Tuesday. 

Ive reached out to a few places, but wanted to try the informal route first, i have old tools around that I didnt know what to do with, figured other may as well. I will try to get up to beans sometime soon, I used to work in the fly shop.