Maine Fly Fish
plecain

Salt Marsh Browns

On the last day of salmon fishing another guy and I were discussing what was still open after Nov 1.

He suggested I try fishing for browns in a salt marsh. He also said I should use dry flies, even in November. He gave me a couple that had worked for him.

The fish were nothing special, but it was something new to me. New is always good.

csDSCN2092.thumb.jpg.208e39b800194e135474d854d8562590.jpg

csDSCN2093.thumb.jpg.b29ff35a4fe3e8aa0ab9e1123430703c.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting...  this begs lots of questions of technique.   Do you think the tides matter on this type of fishing?  Were you at the outlet or well into the marsh?  I can see the dry flies working this time of year as the marshes are such an organic little biosphere so to speak.  

2 hours ago, Upperandy said:

Do you think the tides matter on this type of fishing?  Were you at the outlet or well into the marsh?

Don't know enough yet to judge the effects of the tide. This was about half-tide outgoing.

There's a road that divides the marsh from the outlet. I was on the marsh side anywhere from 100 yards to 800 yards into the marsh.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Pescador said:

This only applies to Southern Maine correct? Nice dry fly browns!

Thanks.

I'm sorry, I don't understand 'This only applies...'

3 hours ago, plecain said:

Don't know enough yet to judge the effects of the tide. This was about half-tide outgoing.

There's a road that divides the marsh from the outlet. I was on the marsh side anywhere from 100 yards to 800 yards into the marsh.

Nice browns! I've usually found that the first two hours of incoming and last two of outgoing are the best time to fish for them. A couple years ago when we had a real warm Christmas a friend and I had a great day of fishing for sea runs, we both must have caught close to two dozen. All bright silver and quite acrobatic. If you were where I think you are then there are numerous places you can move to and fish as they move when the tide comes in or goes out, in a sense you can 'ambush' those fish then move to another spot once you stop seeing them.

On 11/2/2018 at 9:49 AM, plecain said:

Thanks.

I'm sorry, I don't understand 'This only applies...'

I just mean that I doubt DownEast Maine has salt marsh browns where I know they do in southern Maine rivers.

9 minutes ago, Pescador said:

I just mean that I doubt DownEast Maine has salt marsh browns where I know they do in southern Maine rivers.

Ok, thanks.

Never fished DownEast. I probably should.

46 minutes ago, Pescador said:

If they stock them like they do down here, they do. If they don't, then not. Really that simple. :)