Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
arrowflinger

Woolybugger size(s)

I’m beginning to start my winter fly tying. I know my bugger collection is lacking.

I’m curious what hook size(s) you use for your woollybuggers. How small do you go?

I will be adding white buggers to my collection. It appears salmon like them or at least they did this year.

If you don't have it already, I'd add hot pink to your collection.

I have them from size 8 to size 18. Sometimes even big fish won't hit any but the smaller ones.

From no larger than 8  to size 14 . Plecain is correct - the small ones can be very effective.   Not a " true" woolybugger but add some Golden Retrievers to your collection.

No hot pink, yet. My bugger box is pretty boring. Black, brown and olive. All big. 

Thanks for the info!

One I forgot. You don't see it in a lot of places.

Some call it ginger, some call it tan. It's a very light brown.

My best salmon fly this year.

I usually fish them in  sz14-6, depending on the location and target. I throw buggers and variations of them for everything, sunfish, bass, perch, trout and salmon. Color combos range from the standard natural colors, to the bright colors one would find in a tube jig variety pack for panfish. Beyond the standard materials, I’ve also used glass beads to construct the body instead of chenille. 

I tie them in large sizes for bass and for big browns out west. And occasionally in maine. Right down to size 2. My biggest brookie I have ever hooked took a tan and Chartruse in size 2.

8 is probably my all around favorite for trout and salmon, larger for bass.  I do tie them down to 14, and those small ones often work very well.

19 hours ago, flytire said:

tie them in any size you want

He was asking for advice, why a comment like that.

I go from #4 down to #14. Dead drifting the smaller one's has worked well for me.