Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
northernfly

Sea run brookies and a surprise!

The falling leaves and colder water temps are undeniable proof that fall is upon us and that the end on the fishing season is near. In order to end the season properly I did one last fishing trip with my usual buddies. The plan was to spend a couples days fishing for sea run brookies in one of our favourite rivers. Upon arrival we had some concerns when we noticed that the river flow was higher than what we’re use to.

FRuNvdS.jpg

When we started fishing we quickly got some action despite the water level!

qQZ6xwh.jpg

W209XuV.jpg

This one putted on her nicest dress for the occasion.

3W014Q4.jpg

Some of thoses sea run brookies were fresh from the sea judging by their silvery-blue colors.

Fz4Tvyc.jpg

lAItD3u.jpg

We saw a lot of birds while walking in the trails between pools.

sWueJvI.jpg

Some of them weren’t as lucky as others.

JhMmFeE.jpg

HFmODFi.jpg

a9gNVGj.jpg

KfgmByL.jpg

12DWnzr.jpg

fklmxt3.jpg

My buddy Alex and one his brookies.

kFCBO5v.jpg

On a bright and sunny afternoon I was fishing one of my favorite pool when I suddenly felt a strong pull on my line. The weight of the fish that attacked my montreal whore streamer putted and impressive bend on my rod and I quickly realized that I had a trophy sea run brookie on the line. The fish crossed to the other side of the pool in a second while my reel was screaming. At that moment the surface of the water exploded as the fish jumped 5 feet high out the water! It wasn’t a trophy sea run brookie that I had on the line but a big Atlantic salmon!

My thoughts started to rush in my head. How am I gonna land a fish like that with my 5 weight orvis Clearwater and a 6 lbs leader and tippet? I was curious to see how long I would be able to keep him on the line before he managed to break it off. After a while my setup seemed to hold fine as long as I keep being very polite with the fish and apply minimal tension on the line. The salmon made a couple of spectacular jumps out of the water which gave me the opportunity to get quick glimpses of my opponent.

About 8 minutes into the fight I started to get the fish closer to my position but it wouldn’t be easy to grab the tail of the fish by myself. At that moment I heard footsteps and I saw my buddy Alex walking down the trail. The timing was perfect as I desperately needed help to land this fish!! The fish was still strong and he kept fighting for a long time before Alex managed to grab his tail after a 16 minutes fight!

Here’s two pictures of this impressive 33 inches long female Atlantic salmon. I would put this beauty in the 15-17 lbs range.

2sZhiSc.jpg

y0AWLQ5.jpg

I managed to record the entire fight, except for the 1st minute, with my Gopro camera. Here’s a video montage of the fight. Of course it’s in french sorry about that...

As usual the river was very generous with us and I couldn’t think of a better way to end my 2018 fishing season. It’s going to be a long winter...!   

• Like 1

Wow.

That's quite an outing. 

All the fish look very well-fed, too.

Here's a question: How would you have landed that salmon if you were alone?

Don’t you just hate it when fishing for brookies and something else hits your fly?:lol:

Great photos and reports. Thanks for sharing. Those are some beautiful fish. As you said , what a great way to end the year!

4 hours ago, plecain said:

Wow.

That's quite an outing. 

All the fish look very well-fed, too.

Here's a question: How would you have landed that salmon if you were alone?

Well when I'm by myself I have to grab the leader to get the fish close to me and then grab it by the tail. I've done it with success before but I've also lost some salmons that waited for that precise moment to give a hard headshake and break off the tippet...

17 minutes ago, northernfly said:

Well when I'm by myself I have to grab the leader to get the fish close to me and then grab it by the tail. I've done it with success before but I've also lost some salmons that waited for that precise moment to give a hard headshake and break off the tippet...

Same.

I try to get them in to where I can grab the line.

Sometimes it works. Other times ... same as you.

What an awesome season ender...beautiful bunch of fish and a great job landing that Salmon on 6lb tippet. Bet it was a blast!

Thank you for sharing your adventures with us.

Sixguns

Wow, that is pure awesomeness! Great job landing that salmon! It’s neat that all knots held up the size of that salmon and all the jumps. That is a fight to remember :)! 

Im assuming you guys fish Quebec. When does your season end? 

My jaw literally dropped when I read down and then saw the pic! Awesome report with amazing brookies, and a gorgeous salmon to top it all off!

11 hours ago, alas said:

Wow, that is pure awesomeness! Great job landing that salmon! It’s neat that all knots held up the size of that salmon and all the jumps. That is a fight to remember :)! 

Im assuming you guys fish Quebec. When does your season end? 

It depends on the species and the area.

Atlantic salmon fishing season ends on september 15th around here and on september 30th for the rivers south of the St-Lawrence river.

Beyond september 15th there's is some rivers that are still open for sea run brookies up to october 15th.

• Thanks 1

Great stuff there. Nice job landing that salmon. A friend of mine brought home some of those sea run brookies one time and said they were the best eating fish he ever had. Talking to the camp owner he said they eat the small shrimp out in the ocean and hence a shrimp flavor.

Surprised there was no snow in the pictures.

Can’t complain about all fishing I do in Maine since it has been quite good. Now, the stuff you have been posting is pretty different with large sea-run brookies and some awesome salmon. Being ~500 miles away, it is not too far away to visit as I’m especially interested in the streams that are closing in October. Im gonna have to read up on the rules and regulations and maybe make a trip next fall. 

Anyways, thanks for posting some amazing stuff on these boards. It has been quite refreshing! And, feel free to reach out if coming down to Maine :)! 

Great report! Video was superb. I am one of  quite a few jealous fisher folks enjoying your reports and waters. The trout are spectacular and a salmon out of a "small" stream, well it just doesn't get any better. A great season ending!        Pete

Beautiful Salmon.......

Btw - I do love that you swapped vests but kept your waders on to shoot the grouse! Top notch multitasking!

• Like 1

I would like to say thank you all for reading it I'm glad to see that you liked it. I'll remember the fight with that salmon for a long time!!

On 11/4/2018 at 6:51 AM, Igloo lake said:

Great stuff there. Nice job landing that salmon. A friend of mine brought home some of those sea run brookies one time and said they were the best eating fish he ever had. Talking to the camp owner he said they eat the small shrimp out in the ocean and hence a shrimp flavor.

Surprised there was no snow in the pictures.

Thanks!

Your friend is right they are delicious, especially when they are caught early in june or july right into the sea or the estuaries. Like you said they eat thoses small shrimps called scud and sand eel. They are also real dynamite on the line they fight much harder and longer than a same size normal brookie.

As of today there's still no snow on the gound but it could change anyday now.

On 11/4/2018 at 8:46 AM, alas said:

Can’t complain about all fishing I do in Maine since it has been quite good. Now, the stuff you have been posting is pretty different with large sea-run brookies and some awesome salmon. Being ~500 miles away, it is not too far away to visit as I’m especially interested in the streams that are closing in October. Im gonna have to read up on the rules and regulations and maybe make a trip next fall. 

Anyways, thanks for posting some amazing stuff on these boards. It has been quite refreshing! And, feel free to reach out if coming down to Maine :)! 

Thank you for the kind words!

When I do a fishing trip in Maine I go to the Moosehead lake area and it takes me about 8h to drive from Baie-Comeau to Greenville.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions about fishing around here I'll be happy to help you. If you end up making a trip next fall I could maybe take a day to show you around and make sure you get into fishes. By the way I'm not a guide trying to lure you here...I'm just a normal flyfishing addict!

20 hours ago, TGIF said:

Btw - I do love that you swapped vests but kept your waders on to shoot the grouse! Top notch multitasking!

LOL no time to loose when it's prime time fishing!

• Thanks 1

VERY well done !!!:D