Maine Fly Fish
LaBonte207

There are still fish out there

I fish all year round, so to me, fish are always out there. The fish I target are stocked fish (put and take really) in the late fall/winter as to not interrupt any natural spawning that's going on. So if you're hankering for a fish to wiggle on the end of your line, they are out there and in very high numbers. 

IMG_3109.thumb.jpg.2807b4a5851a4f0829ab5aa922e976b4.jpg

GL

• Like 1

Same here but all this rain has not helped here in the mid coast. The rivers are at early spring flows right now. Usually late November is a great time here. I didn’t even bother til this passed weekend but water was about a foot or two higher than normal.

I try to fish year round also but it's tough in the winter... By the time I get a hole in the ice big enough to put my float tube in I'm exhausted!

Nice brookie too...

I am still throwing flies in some local Stillwaters around Hancock county. Haven’t been able to move much, either sinking lines or floating. But I’m still trying!

I forgot to say beautiful Brookie. I’m still searching for winter trout or fish in general. I’ve never had luck from december to March with a fly rod. I also probably fish much less during that time and when I do the water is flowing way too fast and high because we get so much rain or snow melt on the coast. 

Beautiful brookie, such a deep red on that belly. I hit the still waters from shore the other day with spinning gear while waiting for the ice. Had some success, but wasn’t until it was getting dark lol. 

8 minutes ago, Walpy said:

I'm still trying ! Still trying to figure out how to keep my toes warm though!

The usual culprit for cold feet is boots that are too tight.

If you're wearing more than one pair of socks take one off and see if that helps.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Trichoptera42 said:

Very nice,

I have some free time over the next two weeks.  Any open water areas (fly fishing) you might suggest?

If I had one suggestion, it would be to look at the stocking report in your county and then the law book for year round waters. If your goal is to catch a fish in the winter (which is an honorable goal), this technique will lead you to a high probability of success. 

2 hours ago, plecain said:

The usual culprit for cold feet is boots that are too tight.

If you're wearing more than one pair of socks take one off and see if that helps.

I second this, allowing blood to flow freely to the foot is essential for warm toes! I just wear regular high top white socks and my feet hardly ever get cold. 

Beautiful brookie congrats!

Man I wish I could flyfish all year round instead of only 6 months...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, northernfly said:

Beautiful brookie congrats!

Man I wish I could flyfish all year round instead of only 6 months...

It does feel nice to throw a few casts, though the fish in moving waters tend to be sluggish and in a neutral to negative mood most of the day or even for days once winter really sets in. When that happens, I’m usually happily drilling holes and jigging with a sonar unit, it’s my favorite/only video game lol.